#1 James Rydings

James Rydings
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, California

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:00 AM

I am shooting a flashback scene for a short I will be shooting in Italy on super 16. The scene will be shot under a large tree in the middle of a golden field around sunrise, maybe with a bit of haze in the air (I have yet to decide this). I want to give it a saturated warm look with soft blown out highlights. I am thinking of using a Pola to give me cleaner colors and a little more saturation, and I will have a set of coral filters with me to give it a slightly warmer feel (compensating for it as the sun rises). I am also thinking of over exposing about 2/3rds or 1 stop and using a white pro mist filter to soften and blow out the highlights.

I have never used the white pro-mist before so I am not sure of which one to use, as I dont want to over do it and unfortunately I will be unable to test it. Does anyone have any advice, or maybe some pictures of the varying white pro-mist filters? Or would you even recommend using a different filter to achieve this look?

Regards,
James

#2 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

Pro mist filters have been discused on here before, try doing a search. The following link is a past post that has some really good responses from other users that should be able to help.
http://www.cinematog...=black pro mist

Also this website has some comparison photos from Tiffen to give you a bit of an idea.
http://www.tiffen.com/promist.htm

Good Luck

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

Check that site David linked to. Remember that the effect of these filters looks greater on a long lens so you might find that the look of a 1/2 promist on a 100mm lens will look about the same density as a full promist on a 25mm lens.

If I were doing it, I would probabl go for 1/4 on long lenses and 1/2 on short ones. I never like the look of promists in a #1 strength.

Edited by Chris Keth, 21 July 2007 - 08:07 PM.

#4 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

Remember that the effect of these filters looks greater on a long lens so you might find that the look of a 1/2 promist on a 100mm lens will look about the same density as a full promist on a 25mm lens.

Curious I wasn't aware of this fact, any explanation to why this is? Is this particular to promist filters or do other/all filters depend on lens length for effect?

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:56 PM

Curious I wasn't aware of this fact, any explanation to why this is? Is this particular to promist filters or do other/all filters depend on lens length for effect?

It happens to things that have solids in them that are imaged. An 85 or an ND won't do it but a promist, a black promist, a fog, a classic soft, et cetera all do this.

For once, I can't explain the optical principle behind this for sure, but I suppose it could be something to do with the way long lenses stack up things in perspective. I think the lens is just doing that to the filter and making the whole thickness, solid particles and all, look denser.

It could also be more of an illusion of magnification. In a wide shot we can't really see the detail that the filter softens but in a close-up, we can easily tell how much detail is softened and it looks heavier.

I would love, by the way, if someone could back me up on some of this or contradict it and correct me. I would be very curious to know the correct reason. ;)

Edited by Chris Keth, 21 July 2007 - 09:59 PM.

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

CineTape

CineLab

Abel Cine

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio