#1 Fulgencio Martinez

Fulgencio Martinez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

Hi,
I´m interested about knowing wich are the main diferences betewen the two cameras.
Is the xtera lighter than XTRProd? (is it similar in weight to arri 416?)
Thanks

#2 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:22 AM

Fulgencio,

The Xtera is an update to the XTRprod, so mechanically they are the same and have the same specs as far as speed and noise.

The Xtera adds the PBY junction box to the side which includes additional accessory ports and the capacity to mount two batteries to the camera. Personally, I really like the addition of the two batteries. It adds just a bit mroe weight but it adds it further back on the camera, behind the shoulder so the camera's balance is even better.

Additionally, you get a feature-packed assistant side display which gives you all sorts of information the operator-side display doesn't. I particularly like it's capacity to show the TC start and stop for each take showing duration AND if you were shooting at a speed other than 24fps it will calculate and display the runtime at that speed (how long you ran the samera at say, 48fps) as well as the screen-run time of that speed if it were projected or transfered at 24fps.

You also get the VHR which is an all-Aaton designed progressive video assist that really blow the others away. It gives you a 1:1 correlation between video and film frames so you lose no temporal resolution. Some people describe it as HD-like.. which is misleading... but suffice it to say I believe you can pull focus on a 200mm prime at 2.8 by eye on the VHR.

Lastly, you get a bracket for mounting a 15 or 19mm rod specifically for lens motors so they stay out of the way of the handgrip, mattebox etc...

Everything else is like the XTRprod... why change what's right?

- nathan

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc