#1 foreignfilm

foreignfilm
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hi,

Could someone tell me whether this camera is an ACL I or ACL II? How much do you think it's worth? Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#2 foreignfilm

foreignfilm
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

I forgot to say that I already asked the seller but he doesn't know what model it is.

#3 EDWARD A WRIGHT

EDWARD A WRIGHT

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:47 PM

I'm an ACL nut, so it was a lot of fun to check out this item. I've often noticed that ACL's are like "mutts" - there's a mix of many different modifications - I seldom come accross a pure ACL 1 or 2. This one is no different. First: the mags - you're safe there - they are the less problematic French made versions.

Second: the Camera itself - Its an ACL 1 - but not to worry - ACL 1's aren't all that different internally from 2's - what sucked about them was the lousy motors they came with. They burned out when attempting to pull the 400' loads of film in the French mags - but this one is safe! Cinema Products did a modification of the original motor to give it more torque - they added an internal flywheel - this is one of their mods - see the label attached to the modified motor.

Only problem with this mod is sometimes you have to give the camera a few extra moments to get up to speed - the flywheel has to get rolling to build up some inertia - but it only burns up a few extra frames of film - I don't see it as a major flaw, its like any camera: you have to get to know your equipment in order to get the best results from it.

Remember too, that parts are easy to swap in and out with ACL's due to their modular nature. If you don't like the engine, keep your eye on ebay and another will show up - I don't particularly care so musch for the viewfinder on this ACL - I prefer the "orientable" angenieux's - but they show up on ebay too! Bernie O'Doherty at Super16inc.com is an excellent tech for any mods or upgrades/overhauls you may need - he also doesn't mind answering questions - he's been a great help to me.

One more thing: You may be able to get the camera at a very good price because other bidders will be frightened off by the "mystery" of this cam. If you can get it for less than $1000 you'll have an incredible deal!

Best of luck,
ed

#4 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

Frankly I prefer the orientable Kinoptik finders for the ACL II.

#5 EDWARD A WRIGHT

EDWARD A WRIGHT

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

Frankly I prefer the orientable Kinoptik finders for the ACL II.

Frankly, I love the Kinoptik orientable too - they're really the best - but very difficult to get hold of, even through ebay - next best is the angenieux orientable viewfinder which incidentally is for sale right now on ebay see:

ed

#6 EDWARD A WRIGHT

EDWARD A WRIGHT

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

Frankly, I love the Kinoptik orientable too - they're really the best - but very difficult to get hold of, even through ebay - next best is the angenieux orientable viewfinder which incidentally is for sale right now on ebay see:

ed

I forgot to add - the angenieux orientable viewfinder requires the (ACL 1.5) 30mm small oval viewfinder mount that attaches to the camera body with two small screws - if you don't have one Contact George at opticalelectrohouse or Bernie O'Doherty at super16inc.com to source one of these.

ed

#7 foreignfilm

foreignfilm
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

ed

Thanks a lot for your wealth of ACL info, Ed! By the way, is this viewfinder compatible with the ACL on Ebay that I'm interested in since you said it's an ACL I?

#8 foreignfilm

foreignfilm
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

Thanks a lot for your wealth of ACL info, Ed! By the way, is this viewfinder compatible with the ACL on Ebay that I'm interested in since you said it's an ACL I?

Oops! We posted about the same time asking and answering the same question. I've got the answer. Thanks.

#9 EDWARD A WRIGHT

EDWARD A WRIGHT

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

Here's a photo of the 30mm mount you'd need for the Angenieux orientable viewfinder in order to mount it to the ACL 1

angmount.jpg

Edited by EDWARD A WRIGHT, 22 July 2007 - 01:17 PM.

#10 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:14 AM

I think that is a ACL 1 with CP heavy dutty motor (that works perfectly with 400 ft mag)

Check this link

http://members.aol.c...r16ACL/menu.htm

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape