#21 A. Whitehouse

A. Whitehouse
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Director
  • Melbourne

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

Have any films, of recent times, been shot on R16 and had notable success on the big screen?

Hi Oliver,
A lot of successful shorts are shot on R16mm and projected on the big screen. Some have had a lot of success even shot R16mm cropped to 2.35 and blown up to 35mm prints. Not that they look flawless but a real testament to making do with the resources at hand. These newer stocks are really opening up possibilities.

Sasha

#22 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

When I saw "Once" I immediately assumed it was R16, but IMDB says it was 35. Do production companies often lie and say they shot on 35 to help their distribution efforts?

I think that's shot on HD.
IMDB is not the most reliable source for tech specs.

But how could I have forgotten Bergman's "The Magic Flute', made for Swedish TV.
1.33:1, 7247, Canon 12-120mm macrozoom.

The image glows. A very beautiful & charming film.

#23 Curtis Bouvier

Curtis Bouvier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:41 AM

Almost all of the Antarctica footage in BBC's Planet Earth was shot with super 16mm film, not sure what type of camera. but it was so cold their film jammed up. They were SOL for the night of shooting and had try again the next day. They talk about this in the Planet Earth Diaries.

Vera Drake was shot with Super 16mm Film as well, for the whole film from what I am told, very nicely done movie.

Don't know if this counts for "Big Screen" though..

Edited by Curtis Bouvier, 16 August 2007 - 07:44 AM.

#24 Curtis Bouvier

Curtis Bouvier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:43 AM

double posted by accident, if someone could delete this.

Edited by Curtis Bouvier, 16 August 2007 - 07:45 AM.

#25 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:56 PM

Oliver et al,

A recent film that received quite a bit of critical attention and theatrical success was Andrew Bujalski's Mutual Appreciation (shot on SRII with Canon 8-64, entirely on 7222 in 1.33), and his previous film Funny Ha, Ha (shot on Aaton 54LTR with Angenieux 9,5-57 on Kodak color stocks, in 1.33).

Milestone just did a theatrical re-released Charles Burnett's shot in 16mm black and white (1.33) Killer of Sheep. The re-release was distributed on 35mm, and looked outstanding.

Of note, films by David Williams, Rachel Reich, Caveh Zahedi's A Little Stiff, John Cassavetes Shadows and Faces, Mark Rappaport, Kelly Reichart's River of Grass, early films by Greg Araki, John O'Brien, Gordon Erickson, Everett Lewis, Allison Ander's Border Radio, Lizzie Borden, Peter Goldman's Echos of Silence, Jim McBride's David Holtman's Diary, early films by Robert Kramer, the BBC film work of Mike Leigh (some of which toured as part of a travelling retrospective), work by the infamous Jon Jost, and Chris Smith's American Job (one of his best films).

All of the above had some kind of festival life, and limited or wide theatrical release. These are just a few of the "forgotten" independents.

Don't forget Rick Linklater's Slacker which toured around as a 16mm print before Orion sniffed profit potential and pick it up for release.

And Don't forget Rick Schmidt... Feature Films At Used Car Prices. He made a number of features over the years. Many in 16mm before switching to video.

-Alain

#26 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:55 PM

Allow me to add....

Paul Morrissey, Shirley Clarke, Morris Engel, Lonel Rogosin, John Korty, Rob Nilsson, I think Victor
Nunez shot Gal Young Un (1979) in std 16mm?, Chantal Ackerman early works, Robert M. Young, Michael Roemer, Britta Sjogren (older films and the recently complete In This Short Life), and Jackie Raynal.

-Alain

#27 Ryan Ball

Ryan Ball
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angels

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:51 PM

Anybody mention PRIMER yet? A really cool time-travel pic shot on R16 and given fairly wide theatrical distribution in the U.S. a few years ago.

#28 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco/Los Angeles CA USA

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

it was shot on S16....

#29 Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

Also the movie "Snake Of June" from 2002 was shot on b/w R16mm, even Shinya Tsukamoto did some test with canon to make a lense to get an aspesct ratio of 1:1 but they couldn`t do it.

Cheers

#30 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:23 PM

Hi-

I can't believe no-one has mentioned "Dark Star" from a pre-Alien Dan O'Bannon! Who could forget the beach ball? And the Chicken (or was it ham) sandwich? (saw it on a big screen years ago, and it looked pretty bad)

#31 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2286 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

I am sure "The Gods etc." was shot on standard 16mm ,dont know that it was bolex though . John .

#32 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:14 AM

I believe Rhythm Thief (1994) was also shot in standard or regular 16mm (1.33).

-Alain

#33 Rod Otaviano

Rod Otaviano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

Oliver et al,
A recent film that received quite a bit of critical attention and theatrical success was Andrew Bujalski's Mutual Appreciation (shot on SRII with Canon 8-64, entirely on 7222 in 1.33),

I have this movie on DVD ... great film although not for everyone's tastes. I'm just surprised it was shot with a Canon 8-64mm. Not very sharp on the DVD.

#34 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

"Planet Earth" was shot mostly on HD, and they seem to diss 16mm in the DVD description

Note: Due to the nature of filming in some extreme and remote habitats, where sensitive HD cameras cannot be used, a small percentage of the material in Planet Earth was captured on 16mm film. For this reason some shots may exhibit visual artefacts, noise or apparent film grain. This is particularly evident in low light conditions and night vision shots. Every effort has been made to ensure that the picture quality is as clear and stable as possible in the circumstances

#35 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:36 PM

I have this movie on DVD ... great film although not for everyone's tastes. I'm just surprised it was shot with a Canon 8-64mm. Not very sharp on the DVD.

It was shot on the 8-64, but the stock is 7222. It was shot standard 16mm 1.33 and blown up to
35mm (pillarboxed) 1.33. Tho, I believe the transfer for the DVD was done from the neg, but yeah,
7222 is grainy stuff even when shooting standard and projecting standard. Kind of a nice look if you
ask me, grain dancing around everywhere.

As for the DVD, that will introduce a whole other layer of noise, esp in the blacks.

-Alain

#36 Rod Otaviano

Rod Otaviano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:34 PM

Kind of a nice look if you
ask me, grain dancing around everywhere.

Yeah, I also like this look. Works great for this kind of movie. Thanks for the specs by the way. Just ordered "Funny Ha Ha" from the same director, and "Stranger than Paradise" by Jim Jarmusch (Criterion Collection, not sure if it's 16mm or S16)

#37 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:52 PM

...and "Stranger than Paradise" by Jim Jarmusch (Criterion Collection, not sure if it's 16mm or S16)

THat was 35mm Double-X and and Arri 35BL, an 18mm and a 25mm lens.
Grainy, sure. But that's Double-X

#38 Rod Otaviano

Rod Otaviano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

THat was 35mm Double-X and and Arri 35BL, an 18mm and a 25mm lens.
Grainy, sure. But that's Double-X

Oh ok, thanks. I haven't seen this film yet but I had read on IMDB it had been shot on 16mm. They got it wrong.

#39 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:04 PM

Not positive but Clerks looks like R16. Some sort of 16mm, anyway, would make sense given the budget.

#40 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:58 PM

Oh ok, thanks. I haven't seen this film yet but I had read on IMDB it had been shot on 16mm. They got it wrong.

There actually was an AC article about shooting it.

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Abel Cine

CineTape