#1 Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UTAH

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

I took all your feedback from my last reel and fixed just about everything that was brought up. Thank you everyone!

Enjoy and please comment!

Demo Reel - 240p - 480p - 720p

I know it's not straight cinematography, but I also made a motion graphics reel, I thought some of you might like,.. well I hope anyway.

Motion Graphics Reel - 240p - 480p - 720p

Again thank you everyone!

- Greg

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

Wow! That is truly beautiful work. You really are a first class DP. ;)

#3 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco/Los Angeles CA USA

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

This is really Good man, I will hire you, for some projects, I think you should work in more stuff than just war and action, not that you aren't really good, YOU are , but for example a few music videos and some other stuff will show the client your range , I still love your reel man, really good

Do you mind mentioning what formats did you use ?

Best

#4 Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UTAH

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:20 AM

Thank you very much for the feedback!! It's very kind! Most of that was shot on the SDX900, HDX900, HVX200, and DVX100. I'm like a Panasonic Poster child ha ha. I've done some music videos, I just didn't put it in the reel because I wanted to keep it cinematic. There's some music videos (that were mostly comical) In the media reel.

Again thank you for the feedback, I love feedback!!!

Thanks,

- Greg

#5 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

They were DVCAM/HDV?!?!

I thought they were HDCAM/35mm!! :o

#6 Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UTAH

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:53 PM

Ha ha, no, there was no HDV!!!

Only the very last stuff ( the 1930's Movie) was miniDV. Everything thing else was pretty much DVCPRO HD. Well here I'll just list them:

4Life (The Guy in the Taxi Cab) - Panasonic Varicam [DVCPRO HD]
Ignoble (Fantasy / Knight Movie) - Panasonic [SDX-900 [DVCPRO 50]
Anthems of War (WWII Short) - Panasonic HDX-900 [DVCPRO HD]
Blackcell (Painball Action movie) - Panasonic HVX-200 with cheap ghetto 35mm adapter [DVCPRO HD]
Scout's Honor (1930's Scout Mystery) - Panasonic DVX-100 with anamorphic adapter [DV]

I wish it was 35mm!! I haven't worked with a big enough budget to DP on film yet.

Thanks for your interest and comments! Keep them coming!

- Greg

#7 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco/Los Angeles CA USA

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

That's great that you push teh envelope like that, I new it was digital, but the delivery is really nice, I guess you did pretty great keep feeding the monster

Best

#8 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:30 AM

Great work!

What was the codec you used to compress for web? Also can you list the compression settings? Even the lowest res version looked really great!

#9 Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UTAH

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:26 AM

Great work!

What was the codec you used to compress for web? Also can you list the compression settings? Even the lowest res version looked really great!

Well, in posting this reply I opened Compressor to check my presets I made, when I switched back to firefox my application didn't switch over... when I hit the "delete" key four times to fix my misspelled word, I managed to delete all my presets from Compressor!!! (Until just now I was really stoked with the new compressor.) Oh well ha ha.

So, yeah I used Compressor 3 with the H.264 codec. If you look download the video to your computer you can sort of reverse engineer what I did,.. just look at "get info" from the icon in OS X, or you can do Movie properties is quicktime player.

I'm on set all week this week, and out of town on a shoot this weekend, but when I get back I can upload my presets for you to import to compressor, if you just want to use them. They're not too crazy. The key is encoding all your stuff with 24P material, well then again the new auto-detect frame control setting works flawlessly,.. if you have a day or two to let your computer render.

I have all my frame controls off, and limit my bandwidth from 800 - 3600 kbs depending on which resolution I'm using. I'm super picky about frame size and pixel aspect ratio,.. it has to be perfect. Keep rendering out a small chunk and check for mosaicing and stair casing, if you see any tweak some settings and start over.

If you want the exact settings to a certain file size, like my smaller one for instance I'll be happy to upload my settings just let me know what size you're looking at.

- Greg

Edited by Greg Johnson, 09 August 2007 - 12:29 AM.

#10 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:50 AM

Very cool.

Well, I don't have compressor, and I'll be using AE on a PC to render it out, so I'll have to fiddle around in there. Unless Premiere shapes up and has a better render setup (which I doubt).

H.264 is unbelievable.

On another note, I watched the smallest version first and it was great. I just tried the largest version and it lagged, having lots of problems with playback. Possibly I will have to download the video to get it to play smoothly.

#11 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:30 PM

I tried using premiere (shudder) to do an h.264 output and haven't gotten acceptable results yet. The sorenson 3 codec still gives me a better size/quality ratio.

Maybe I should invest in quicktime pro?

Also the work on http://www.adamfrisch.com/ is compressed amazingly.
His video for amy winehouse is 20MB- 4 mins long and looks really good.

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery