Photo

I never understood what Heaven could be like until now!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

I wrote a tread a little while ago called "Where are all the Kinor 35Cs?" or something like that. Well, I now know where at least one of them are, I own it! I am now OFFICIALLY a C guy. I bought the C that Bruce at Aranda had gone though and was selling for a client on Ebay and BOY did I get a deal on this beauty. For those of you who didn't see the ad, this lady is GORGEOUS! The work Bruce did on it was flawless. the only small problem I have is finding some of the parts that were specific to the C like the pistol grip handle for hand held work and the original baseplate with 15mm rods so the large follow focus and lens support can be used on the camera, so what I plan to do is adapt the 35H baseplate to the C. I kept my baseplate when I sold my 35H to pay for this camera and I'll have to have something machined. I have the plate that bolts ti the actual 35H body, and I can make it work with the 35C but I don't like the way it fits, it's not "right" and I want to make sure this is completely solid. I may just have Bruce machine one for me.

I still have to power it up and run some film though it but if it works half as well as it looks, it'll give a Panavision a run for it's money :D Everything I had planned to do with my old 35H, new electronics, video tap, new paint, remote start/stop plug, full inspection, cleaning and lubrication, has already been done to the 35C AND I have the added advantage of a camera that operates at 28 dbs as opposed to the 32dbs of the 35H which should mean NO BARNEY NEEDED when doing quiet interiors! One thing I was surprised at though is just how much physically larger the camera is compared to the H, and that's even with Bruce's compact electronics conversion that eliminates the long arm that comes out the back in the original configuration. The camera is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than the H as well. I was sorta surprised at just how much heavier it is which will make hand held work a little more difficult but I feel the trade off for a quieter camera is well worth it, besides I truly feel hand held has been abused to death and should be used sparingly. My motto (one of many) is put the damn thing on a tripod the way God and Cecil B. DeMille intended it to be.

I've also managed to round out my anamorphic package by acquiring a round front 35mm anamorphic Lomo. THAT was a coup cause most of the time you can ONLY find them with a set and if you DO run across one separately at a decent price, it gets snatched up almost instantly. I had to sell my 35, 50 and 75mm standard speed sphericals and now must rely on my 35, 50 and 75 fast lenses until I can replace 'em PLUS through in 2 rare 400 ft mags for the H and spend a bunch of cash on shipping I didn't REALLY have to spend on shipping, but it was WELL worth it ;) ! NOW if I can find a 100mm anamorphic and an anamorphic gate or an academy gate I can have machined to anamorphic, I'll be in Hog Heaven.

I must say, I can truly recommend Aranda for those of you that want to up-date a commie cam or any other camera, oh BTW, Bruce finally gave me a straight answer to the Kinor 35 lubrication questions I've been asking forever on these things, apparently these Kinors C and H s have to be sent in to lube and serviced because the they have to be practically disassembled to lubricate, no way around it what so ever UNLESS you use the old CCCP technique, apparently on Soviet productions, an expert camera technician AND a qualified lens technician were assigned to every shoot....of coarse that COULD be a bit cost prohibitive BUT the good news is that they will go for quite a while between servicing and lubrication, so once it's been serviced and properly lubed, you should be able to shoot several thousand feet of film before it has to be sent in again. I did ask him about replacing the solid metal bushing with a ball baring but he felt it was really not a critical modification and the camera would work very reliably without it. I just thought I would share that for my fellow Kinorites out there. Anyway, this has put me MILES ahead of were I was as far as getting into production on Blood Moon Rising and I'm in Heaven!! :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 26 July 2007 - 11:25 PM.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

CineLab

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks