Photo

Fuji F64, Can a bad transfer result in a more grainy image? (S16mm)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Fritts

Josh Fritts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:52 AM

I recently shot a S16mm spec commercial on the Fuji F64. This was my first time shooting on that stock so I'm not to sure what the grain structure is like, but knowing that it is one of Fuji's finer grain stocks, I assumed it would be some where in the ball park of Kodak's Vision 1 stock the 7245.

During the color grading, the grain structure appeared pretty smooth. But after it was laid to tape and I saw it captured into Final Cut, the grain structure was really pronounced. More pronounced than any other S16mm projects that I have shot. Especially in the shots where I over cranked the camera.

Since the director and I are paying for this out of pocket, we went to one of the smaller post houses in town. They transfer on a Cintel Ursa (Tube Transfer, not CCD Digital Transfer), and we went to Digi Beta. This is the first time I have ever done telecine on a machine like this.

So, I'm wondering if the Transfer caused the grain to read more or could it have been the digitizing of the tape? Even yet, could it have been the grain structure of the film itself and I just didn't notice it on the NTSC monitor?

Although this is a spec commercial and its not going to broadcast, I still want it to look clean so we can use it for our reels. So, I'm considering taking it to another lab to do a digital transfer of it.

Any suggestions?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

Hi,

F64 D is very low grained, and stays fresh for a very long time. What you are probably seeing is noise, what noise reducer were they using? Some companies turn down the beam current to save the tube (to save money on repairs), the quality of the transfer goes down, they loose clients and can't pay for a new tube after 1000 hours or so, their quality gets worse...

If you over more than 1 stop you would indeed see more noise, if you underexposed more than 1 stop then grain would be more obvious.

Stephen

I recently shot a S16mm spec commercial on the Fuji F64. This was my first time shooting on that stock so I'm not to sure what the grain structure is like, but knowing that it is one of Fuji's finer grain stocks, I assumed it would be some where in the ball park of Kodak's Vision 1 stock the 7245.

During the color grading, the grain structure appeared pretty smooth. But after it was laid to tape and I saw it captured into Final Cut, the grain structure was really pronounced. More pronounced than any other S16mm projects that I have shot. Especially in the shots where I over cranked the camera.

Since the director and I are paying for this out of pocket, we went to one of the smaller post houses in town. They transfer on a Cintel Ursa (Tube Transfer, not CCD Digital Transfer), and we went to Digi Beta. This is the first time I have ever done telecine on a machine like this.

So, I'm wondering if the Transfer caused the grain to read more or could it have been the digitizing of the tape? Even yet, could it have been the grain structure of the film itself and I just didn't notice it on the NTSC monitor?

Although this is a spec commercial and its not going to broadcast, I still want it to look clean so we can use it for our reels. So, I'm considering taking it to another lab to do a digital transfer of it.

Any suggestions?

#3 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

You over cranked ? hope you opened up stop to compensate ?

#4 Josh Fritts

Josh Fritts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

You over cranked ? hope you opened up stop to compensate ?

I did.

#5 Josh Fritts

Josh Fritts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:01 PM

Everything was exsposed properly.

#6 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

Well fuji stocks are great so its not that ,so what Stephen said could be correct .

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Opal

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport