4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

I just watched "Falling Down" (yes, it's been out for 15 years or so) and it struck
me as one of the rare films that looks like the weather is really hot. Often films
have the heat as a factor in the plot, people going nuts and so forth, but they don't
always look believeably hot.

There is a consistent warm tone to many of the shots in this film and that certainly
helps. Does anybody know anything about how this film was shot/colored?

Thanks.

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:52 AM

I like this movie a lot Tim. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember that it did indeed 'look' hot. I don't remember if the color temperature looked warm though. I do believe I remember that Michael Douglas was sweating a lot throughout the movie though, which probably played a big part.

#3 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:12 AM

I like this movie a lot Tim. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember that it did indeed 'look' hot. I don't remember if the color temperature looked warm though. I do believe I remember that Michael Douglas was sweating a lot throughout the movie though, which probably played a big part.

I like it too, although I was surprised that it was different from what I thought it would be based on
seeing the trailer a long time ago. In fact the trailer is on the DVD. It presents Bill D-FENS as an
ordinary guy who's simply trying to get home. I think that must have been done to sell tickets
because instead of a regular guy who snaps one day at society's craziness; he's a guy with a history
of freaking out and looking like he wants to kill people who finally goes on his spree, granted with a little
provocation but not enough for what he does and for his familial homicidal plans, which I think is
very different from what was advertised.

I do think that they warmed up many scenes, perhaps with both filters and in post, but also maybe they
shot some of the key scenes in bright sunlight when it was in fact really hot. It has that authentic look.

There are some great performances, especially from Michael Douglas.

#4 Mark Norman

Mark Norman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:00 PM

I just watched "Falling Down" (yes, it's been out for 15 years or so) and it struck
me as one of the rare films that looks like the weather is really hot. Often films
have the heat as a factor in the plot, people going nuts and so forth, but they don't
always look believeably hot.
There is a consistent warm tone to many of the shots in this film and that certainly
helps. Does anybody know anything about how this film was shot/colored?
Thanks.

That's an excellent observation.

The look and color of the film makes the viewer imagine heat and produces a feeling of fatigue, just like Foster is experiencing.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

Yeah, they did a really great job of showing the heat, mugginess and stagnant air of LA. I haven't seen it in a while (10 years?), I should give it another look from a cinematographer's perspective.

CineLab

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC