#1 Pete Von Tews

Pete Von Tews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Concord CA USA

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:47 AM

Hi everyone, I have a Bolex 480 super 8mm camera that I'm trying to bring back to life, the problem is that the metal in the battery compartment is so corroded that I'm not sure how to rebuid the the battery contacts. Does anyone here use a bolex super 8 that uses 5 AA batteries that come in a little "cartridge"? I need to rebuild the metal contacts on the "cartridge" lid.

thanks!

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

Hi everyone, I have a Bolex 480 super 8mm camera that I'm trying to bring back to life, the problem is that the metal in the battery compartment is so corroded that I'm not sure how to rebuid the the battery contacts. Does anyone here use a bolex super 8 that uses 5 AA batteries that come in a little "cartridge"? I need to rebuild the metal contacts on the "cartridge" lid.

thanks!

I have used solder with limited success. The problem is the plastic starts to melt as the solder gets hots. Perhaps if you added a very small piece of aluminum foil the solder will stick quicker and easier, just make sure you don't creat a "short" situation.

#3 Pete Von Tews

Pete Von Tews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Concord CA USA

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

I discovered that the Bolex 480 has an external power jack. I plugged in a 300MA power source and the camera runs! Now I just have find how much volts it needs. There are 5 1.5v AA batteries in the "battery pack" so that's 7.5volts, but I have a feeling one AA battery might be for the light meter. The camera has a footage meter, so I'll run it at 24FPS at different voltages and see how long it takes to go through 50 feet on each voltage. I think that should help me indicate the right voltage I hope.
Thanks!

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

I discovered that the Bolex 480 has an external power jack. I plugged in a 300MA power source and the camera runs! Now I just have find how much volts it needs. There are 5 1.5v AA batteries in the "battery pack" so that's 7.5volts, but I have a feeling one AA battery might be for the light meter. The camera has a footage meter, so I'll run it at 24FPS at different voltages and see how long it takes to go through 50 feet on each voltage. I think that should help me indicate the right voltage I hope.
Thanks!

Not necessarily. Some cameras have regulators that don't allow the speed to change even if you change the voltage, however you could burn out some other component. 7.5 is a very logical guess if the camera has 5 batteries in the handle.

#5 Pete Von Tews

Pete Von Tews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Concord CA USA

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:54 PM

Hi Alessandro!

Yes, I agree about the internal voltage regulator!
Here are results of my tests +/- 1 seconds

These were timed using the built in footage meter. I start the timer when I start the camera, then stop the timer when the footage meter reaches past 50feet and makes a distinctive "click" sound.

BOLEX 480

300 MA 110 volt wall adapter with selectable voltage

VOLTS-----FPS---------TIME---------FRAMES

4.5_______24_______2:40_______3840
6.0_______24_______2:34_______3696
7.5_______24_______2:35_______3720
9.0_______24_______2:37_______3768

4.5_______40_______2:05_______5000
6.0_______40_______1:35_______3800
7.5_______40_______1:23_______3320
9.0_______40_______1:12_______2880

These numbers should be compared to this camera running off a fresh set of 5 AA battteries and see which number is closest, but I think 7.5 volts would probably be better than 6volts, for a added boost of power.

I did the total frames number just for a reason to use my vintage calculator =)

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Opal

CineLab

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS