#1 Rob Wilton

Rob Wilton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

Dear all,
Im shooting with two sets of lenses on a shoot, the other set going to the second unit. Does this happen often? I understand lenses differ in sharpness from brand to brand, but
apart from the flares, will there be any other obvious difference in look (i.e heavy colour cast) or anything? I think we'll be shooting with Cooke lenses and Zeiss lenses.
thanks!
Rob Wilton

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

Dear all,
Im shooting with two sets of lenses on a shoot, the other set going to the second unit. Does this happen often? I understand lenses differ in sharpness from brand to brand, but
apart from the flares, will there be any other obvious difference in look (i.e heavy colour cast) or anything? I think we'll be shooting with Cooke lenses and Zeiss lenses.
thanks!
Rob Wilton

Zeiss and Cooke definitely have different characteristics. I guess if they're being used for different scenes, there's no reason why you couldn't use both. I would normally advise against intercutting them within the same scene. However, this was successfully done in "I, Robot", which actually used Zeiss Ultra Primes for wide shots, and Cooke S4s on closeups. I would guess this made extra work for the D.I. colorist to make everything match. (There are exceptions to every rule.)

p.s. I probably wouldn't consider this if you're using any Cooke primes prior to the S4 series.

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Willys Widgets