Looking for a DP / San Fran & Bay Area / L.A.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rod Blackhurst

Rod Blackhurst
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:40 PM

Looking for a DP for a short film, By Hook Or By Crook, to be shot this fall in and around San Francisco.

Story:
Dave is a 26 year old man who can't reconcile the reality of his ambitions with the reality of his life. A failing writer, who sees himself as some potential well of genius, is hounded by the fear that maybe he'll never amount to anything. Surrounded by a life of excess, drugs, and women, he still seeks affirmation and validation in his life from an ex girlfriend who will always be the love of his life.

Locations:
Several bars, apartment, street scene San Francisco, BART ride to Oakland, car ride and overlook on PCH, beach house in Santa Cruz, nightime street scene, convenience store, etc

Format:
Would like to shoot HVX200, with RedRock 35mm adapter. Would really like to shoot super 16mm but don't have the time to work with it.

Influence:
Color Schemes - Half Nelson (DP - Andrij Parekh)
Other films/artists: George Washington & All The Real Girls (David Gordon Green & Tim Orr), Science of Sleep, Days of Heaven, Thumbsucker

About Me:
I've directed a variety of film and video projects over the past three years. Most recently the new music video for the Fray, "All At Once" which is currently in heavy rotation on VH1. Also directed a short film about the Fray which is on their special edition album DVD/CD release. 16mm documentary called The Lost Season, an HD documentary about the Vikingsholm castle in Lake Tahoe, CA. There should be some video available at www.transistorproductions.com (please excuse the website, I'm working on finding someone to update it all).

Please feel free to e-mail me at rodblackhurst@gmail.com While many of the scenes are written as San Francisco I am more than willing to make as much of it work in LA as possible, save about 25% which will need to be done on a quick jaunt to San Francisco. Trying to keep options open as far as budget, casting, etc

#2 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

A little confused by the "don't have the time to work with it" statement, but otherwise the main questions are:

When and what's the pay? (actually was planning a trip to sanfran anyways to visit my wifes cousin)

#3 Rod Blackhurst

Rod Blackhurst
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

Nate,

Just meant that while I'd love to shoot s16 I don't think I have the pre production time to get that all lined up (rentals, stock, etc) given the window of time that I have available to get this off the ground and shot.

Cheers,

Rod

#4 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:03 PM

Hmm, well I'd be interested. Where do I send my resume and demo reel?

I might have other options that would still allow you to shoot on film and keep to the narrow timeline.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:01 AM

Hey Rod,

Congrats on the video! It looks like it was a lot of fun to shoot.

I'm definitely interested in your project. Honestly, it's precisely the type of work I'm looking for. Something very naturalistic perhaps, beautiful and handsomely shot, long lenses and the like.

I'll email you my resume right quick and perhaps we could discuss things sometime. I too would like to explore the possibility of shooting it on S16. I wouldn't foresee anymore problems in prep than I would in shooting HD and setting up that workflow. But I'd be glad to explore this opportunity further.

Hope to get in touch with you soon :)

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc