#1 Phil Savoie

Phil Savoie
  • Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montana / Wales

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:21 AM

Hello,

I have a Chrosziel 16x9 dual stage matte box that I use for Super 16 and Super 35mm 3 Perf formats. I asked Chrosziel for hard mattes but they don?t make them for film. This seems a bit silly as they make the matte boxes, go figure.

I use Zeiss Super Speed 35 primes on both formats. I?m thinking of making a set of hard mattes ? it would seem strait forward ? just cut out a hole ;-) - Arri is looking up the opening dimensions for Zeiss Super Speed mattes 18,25,35,50,85 (Mk III).

But before I do my arts and crafts bit I was wondering if anyone has done this before. Any suggestions on materials? Maybe I can rig a set of Arri Mattes for the Chrosziel?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:31 AM

Just make sure that the mattes do not cover the glass of the lens, othwerwise they could cut down the light that reaches the filmplane, resulting in underexposed shots. This additional 'stop' effect is most obvious when wide open.

#3 Phil Savoie

Phil Savoie
  • Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montana / Wales

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

Just make sure that the mattes do not cover the glass of the lens,

Thanks for your note. If I make some I'd try to get them to attach to the outer front of the box - like the Arri mattes - with a bit of a lip so they fit over the opening. I'm fairly confident I could knock some up out of thin aluminium sheet metal and shoot them with flat black. The trick is the opening for the different focal lengths for the Super 35 format - trying to modify Arri plastic mattes may be my easiest path ? I?ll try them on my box the next time I visit Uxbridge / Arri Media. I was hoping some after market company made some without the Arri price tag?..

Cheers

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:53 AM

Just make sure that the mattes do not cover the glass of the lens, othwerwise they could cut down the light that reaches the filmplane, resulting in underexposed shots. This additional 'stop' effect is most obvious when wide open.

Waterhouse stop

#5 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

Precisely. Also look out for out of focus highlights taking on the shape of the matte. I hate mattes. Completely unnecessary 98% of the time with good lenses.

#6 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:16 PM

I have to ask what the use would be to begin with? I had always thought of them as a way to keep out strong flares like when looking into a hair/back light or something like that. What other reasons are they employed other than that? I recall seeing the making of on the film "Traffic" and the Mexican desert shots all had mattes on the 35mm cameras (which someone said was shot on 16mm somewhere but those cams were def. not 16's).

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Tai Audio

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport