#1 Stephen Boss

Stephen Boss

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

Hi, I?m just starting out and need some advice. I?m going to be shooting 2 music videos on a pretty tight budget. I?ll be using a Sony HDR-FX1 (it?s all I have access to). Most of the shots will be indoor hotel room suite and basement type stuff. There will also be some outdoor street, rooftop and/or balcony shots. I know very little about lighting so I wanted to know what would be a good starting set up for my needs.

I can spend $1200 max, but ideally I?d like to be around $800. The most important are that it must be easy to carry around and set up, and it must be useable at 220/240 volts as we will be shooting in Europe. I was looking at some of the Lowel kits since they seemed easy to work with and had a good rep from what I?ve read, but there are just so many different variations I had no clue what would best suited for me. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Stephen Boss

Stephen Boss

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:00 AM

Nobody??

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:11 AM

Nobody??

You have to realize that your questions are very, very broad. It's almost impossible to tell you what lights you'll need just by the locations and camera you're using. It's the shots, and what you want them to look like, that will determine the lighting approach you'll need.

The more detailed information you can give us about the shots and how you want them to look, the more we may be able to help.

#4 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:13 AM

Nobody??

Hi Stephen!

Try the search feature of this board. Similar questions have been asked by many other (myself included) so you might find some basic info there. It should help you to ask more specific questions based on your needs.

Cheers, Dave

#5 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:32 PM

Considering you budget, you will have more flexability for your shoot if you rent requipment instead of buying it. If you describe your shoot, a rental house should be able to provide you with a selection of lights and grip equipment to suit your needs.

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Glidecam

The Slider

Tai Audio