Photo

GY-HD100U on a Music Video (no lights...just run & gun)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Ross

Robert Ross

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

I am shooting a no-budget rap video with a GY-HD100U and I have no lights (and no crew for that matter of fact). This is more of a question for the gaffers, but as far as the camera is concerned what should I be watching out for with the various settings. I am planning on mostly exterior shots with a few in a bar (using sunlight streaming through very large open garage doors which might as well be considered exterior). The producer wants it shot in HD for post so that seems to be my only parameter. I would like to really be able to take advantage of what this camera has to offer as I have been impressed with what I have already seen from "playing around with it" for the past few days.
Thanks for any feedback. I know this is a very broad posting!
R. Ross

#2 Ri Stewart

Ri Stewart

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Oregon Coast

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

I have found that the GY-HD100 needs alot of light, so be aware of that when doing the interior shots. The gains create mosquitos.

This will probably get flamed at a cinematography forum, but after learning how to use the camera, I have found it does incredibly well on automatic after setting the white balance correctly.

We shot this music video on an HD100

Good luck with your project!

I am shooting a no-budget rap video with a GY-HD100U and I have no lights (and no crew for that matter of fact). This is more of a question for the gaffers, but as far as the camera is concerned what should I be watching out for with the various settings. I am planning on mostly exterior shots with a few in a bar (using sunlight streaming through very large open garage doors which might as well be considered exterior). The producer wants it shot in HD for post so that seems to be my only parameter. I would like to really be able to take advantage of what this camera has to offer as I have been impressed with what I have already seen from "playing around with it" for the past few days.
Thanks for any feedback. I know this is a very broad posting!
R. Ross

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:48 AM

Take the time to get familiar with the menus and try out different controls. I've found that for high-contrast exteriors (sunlight and shade) you'll need to raise the black stretch all the way up (+3, I think), and raising the gamma will help roll off the highlights a little more naturally. This camera also really saturates the reds.

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:57 AM

Using a reflector would really help.

I wouldn't use automatic, especially with hot windows in the shot and a moving subject, it's much better for you to adjust the aperture yourself.

#5 Robert Ross

Robert Ross

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

I appreciate all of the help. I'll post my final cut of the video. Looks like a 1 take shoot that will be posted to YouTube for a competition involving 50 Cent and G-Unit records. The merits of the shoot seem to be taking a backseat to the style of the artist and the lyrics. No budget indeed!

#6 Bruno Desrosiers

Bruno Desrosiers

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:38 PM

I appreciate all of the help. I'll post my final cut of the video. Looks like a 1 take shoot that will be posted to YouTube for a competition involving 50 Cent and G-Unit records. The merits of the shoot seem to be taking a backseat to the style of the artist and the lyrics. No budget indeed!

go there: www.sighter.com

Scroll down to the video section and click on the clip with Sandra LeFebvre
was made with the HD100U with only a little Anton light... and the waling in the street a night
was Available light

#7 Tony_Beazley

Tony_Beazley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Bradenton, Fl

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:16 PM

go there: www.sighter.com

Scroll down to the video section and click on the clip with Sandra LeFebvre
was made with the HD100U with only a little Anton light... and the waling in the street a night
was Available light

Hi Bruno just clicked on the performance music video.. was the
gain up or on zero...did you bring it up at all in FCP... nice and clean...very nice job...

stock fuji lens?
Thanks
Tony

#8 Lars Zemskih

Lars Zemskih
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

I have found that the GY-HD100 needs alot of light, so be aware of that when doing the interior shots. The gains create mosquitos.

This will probably get flamed at a cinematography forum, but after learning how to use the camera, I have found it does incredibly well on automatic after setting the white balance correctly.

We shot this music video on an HD100

Good luck with your project!

Where is this video embedded from? Or is it a script? I'm starting to notice it on websites, I want one on mine too.

Edited by Emile Rafael, 14 October 2007 - 07:53 PM.

#9 Ri Stewart

Ri Stewart

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Oregon Coast

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:23 PM

That movie is embedded on their own site, using an open source flash encoder. It's encoded in FLV format, 768k using Squeeze. That way the quality is much better than youtube.

Need one setup? Give me a shout!

Where is this video embedded from? Or is it a script? I'm starting to notice it on websites, I want one on mine too.

#10 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:16 PM

Always try to keep your lens as close to wide open (or at least always more than 5.6) to gain as much from HD as you can.

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Opal

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS