#1 Pete Von Tews

Pete Von Tews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Concord CA USA

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:53 PM

Hi, I'm looking to buy a battery to power my Arriflex 16 s/b. (constant 24 fps motor)
Bescor, NRG seem to be the most popular ones, also duallcamera.com sells a victor pocket power.
When not using the battery with the arriflex, I would like to use the battery to power a on-camera light.

Any recommendations?

thank you!

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:22 AM

Pete,

If you want to use the 24 fps constant speed motor, you need to use an 8 volt battery or you will burn the motor up. I do not know about the NRG or Victor pocket, but most of the common Bescor battery packs I have seen are 12 volt. 12 volts will burn up the ARRI constant speed motor.

If you plan on only using your Arriflex 16S/B with the 100 ft internal film loads, then one battery option I have had great success with is using a couple of Radio Shack 7.2 volt RC car batteries wired in parallel. They usually hit 7.5 volts when fully charged and can run quite a number of 100 ft rolls through the camera before needing recharging.

The Radio Shack battery is the "7.2V2000mAh Ni-Cd Battery Pack and Charger Combo Pack" and is Model: 230-0322, Catalog #: 23-322. I got two of these and wired the batteries in parallel to a 4-Pin XLR with two of the Radio Shack "9.6 V Battery Pack and RC Car Connector Repair Kit" which is Catalog #: 23-445.

If you want to run your Arriflex 16S/B with the constant speed motor and the 400 ft magazine with torque motor, then you will need to find something other than the Radio Shack solution as 7.2 volts is not enough to run the camera motor and the torque motor at the same time.

Hope that gives you some ideas,
-Tim

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Glidecam

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets