rob spence
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Other
  • Beaconsfield

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:48 AM

Hi
I need to make a remote switch to trigger an aaton...for use on car rigs etc. Consisting of an electric cable and a push switch.
Does anyone know what rating the electric cable should be and how long the cable could be?
best
rob spence

#2 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:13 AM

I need to make a remote switch to trigger an aaton...for use on car rigs etc. Consisting of an electric cable and a push switch.
Does anyone know what rating the electric cable should be and how long the cable could be?

Hi Rob,

I can't help you specifically with the Aaton, but I am assuming that the amount of power running through that cable won't be large. Normally cable used for switches is really thin, from 0,14 to 0,22 square mm. If you take larger diameter cable, say 1 sq. mm you should be more than ok. As for length, the thicker the cable, the lower it's resistance. So you should choose larger cables for longer runs. Can you be any more specific about the power system of the Aaton. 12V?

Regards, Dave

#3 rob spence

rob spence
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Other
  • Beaconsfield

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

Hi Rob,

I can't help you specifically with the Aaton, but I am assuming that the amount of power running through that cable won't be large. Normally cable used for switches is really thin, from 0,14 to 0,22 square mm. If you take larger diameter cable, say 1 sq. mm you should be more than ok. As for length, the thicker the cable, the lower it's resistance. So you should choose larger cables for longer runs. Can you be any more specific about the power system of the Aaton. 12V?

Regards, Dave

thanks Dave, the aaton is 12 volt and I would like a 15 foot cable
best
rob spence

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

Rob, we have nice pre-made remote cable switches for the Aaton sitting on the shelf, both in sales and rental. You could save yourself the trouble by getting it from us if you wish.

Opal

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Tai Audio

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc