Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

hello,

i currently own a Hugy Fot housing for the Bolex EL 16mm camera very similar to this badboy:

Posted Image :wub:

I might have a slightly earlier model (or later? no idea...) as mine has a different port on the front that looks proportionally smaller and is not plate glass.

Instead the port is flat on the front but works somewhat like an aspheron on the rear and widens the image which works well with the 10mm Switar Preset but makes the 26mm Preset have a f#$&ed up focal plane, where the outside extremities of the frame are in focus and the centre is not (this effect isn't changed when submerged) ...

I find it odd as the aperture and focus knobs and gearing are made for both the 10mm and 26mm specifically ...

Anyhoo, to the crux of my query ... I was thinking of removing the current port and replacing it with a plate glass style one so I could use both lenses and as a matter of fact use any lens that would fit in there (after having had gears cut for the follow focus/iris) - I could then even use it as a blimp as it reduces running noise to virtual zero, if I stuff more sound absorb breakfast cereals in there who know it could even be good for studio settings...

Is this a bad idea for any reason I cannot think of ?

First off, any suggestions on how to remove the current port without ruining it ? (looks glued in)

..and how would I stick in the new one so as to keep its depth specification ?

(not that I'll ever get that deep, it really has music video/pool/splash'n'surf style shooting in mind)

cheers!
Nick Mulder

#2 Phil Savoie

Phil Savoie
  • Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montana / Wales

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:17 AM

Hi Nick,

I would not recommend changing the port ? it?s a fiddly job and the domes are usually designed with specific lenses in mind - most often wide-angle lenses for UW. I?m not aware of problems with the 26mm and find this surprising as the gearing works but have no reason to doubt you. Although this housing is designed for both lenses I?ve only used the 10mm. Perhaps the dome on this housing has a curvature specific to the 10mm and another dome was used for the 26mm but this seems odd. As long as you?re sure the lens is seated properly I'd next check if the 26mm focus problem occurs through out the entire focus range. You may want to contact Mark Utter at the Bolex factory Bolex@bluewin.ch or +41 24 425 60 21 for advise as this housing was sold through the factory.

With most UW shooting you want the widest lens you can work with as it allows the steadiest handheld image and shooting in close. Due to debris color and overall water clarity, or lack of, one often wants to get the lens in tight as possible to the subject.

The short answer is I would advise against any dome port mods and shoot the 10mm. Sorry I can't be any more helpful Nick.

cheers

#3 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:44 AM

Hi Nick,

I would not recommend changing the port ? it?s a fiddly job and the domes are usually designed with specific lenses in mind - most often wide-angle lenses for UW. I?m not aware of problems with the 26mm and find this surprising as the gearing works but have no reason to doubt you. Although this housing is designed for both lenses I?ve only used the 10mm. Perhaps the dome on this housing has a curvature specific to the 10mm and another dome was used for the 26mm but this seems odd. As long as you?re sure the lens is seated properly I'd next check if the 26mm focus problem occurs through out the entire focus range. You may want to contact Mark Utter at the Bolex factory Bolex@bluewin.ch or +41 24 425 60 21 for advise as this housing was sold through the factory.

With most UW shooting you want the widest lens you can work with as it allows the steadiest handheld image and shooting in close. Due to debris color and overall water clarity, or lack of, one often wants to get the lens in tight as possible to the subject.

The short answer is I would advise against any dome port mods and shoot the 10mm. Sorry I can't be any more helpful Nick.

cheers

Yep - I'll give the 26mm another go but I remember it was quite well into the macro zone just to get objects a few feet away in focus - the problem would go away if the iris was closed enough though, it was like the focal plane (or focal sphere) had become some weird mathematical anomaly :huh: :lol:

I'll contact Bolex for sure, maybe they have the contacts for the HugyFot designer, maybe its still the same person ? - it will be interesting regardless of the outcome ...

As for underwater I certainly understand the water clarity issue ! I spent quite a bit of time last summer in the nearby lake chasing swans from underwater, a chore on my lungs but well worth the practice - only in a few shots do I get hint of a paddling bird, its like they have some sort of sonar :P

The desire for the longer focal lengths was for the potential other use as a sound blimp though not for specific underwater shots - pretty much everything I can think of underwater music vid-wise would call for the 10mm anyway, and would probably be in pool water as clear as I can find.

cheers as always for your help!

I must admit I'm still thinking about it though... Fiddly maybe, but a flat plane replacement might be ok - I shall conduct tests, and wait sometime before doing anything in case the next much better non-destructive idea pops into existence after the fact

(for those of you who are wondering I bough the housing off Phil ...)

CineLab

Visual Products

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Metropolis Post