rafael ludescher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student
  • Vienna, Austria

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

hello there !
this is my first post in this forum.. and as i saw, its a really nice and helpful one!

fast about myself: i am an art student in vienna (austria) and im working partly as a movie screener in a small independent movie cinema (at the moment its just playing "ma mere" and "ten minutes older")
now .. i made some videos with some canon cam before.. but i wanna change to 16mm as i figured out i will buy an arri ST from ebay in the US .. europe or germany are just far not enough cams and if so more expensive..

my questions:

what means "short ends" ? are those short moviematerial parts for test shots ?
how much would you pay for 500ft ?

mattebox, does it matter what kind of mattebox or are all fabricates for arri ok ? and do i really need one?

in your experience of film, is a zoom objective important ? is it quite easy to zoom and focus in the same time ?

and i think the last questions is.. how about the SN .. from what number onm can i still get it serviced from arri (in my case the seat in munich)

and could you give me any advice what i should be really aware of or what i would really need in my kit ?

i thank you A LOT!
and im happy that i found this forum

gr.rrrF

#2 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

Hi Rafael!

Welcome to the boards & Gruss aus Wien 12! Do you really want to shoot yourself or are you more into directing? If you want to direct and you need a DP with equipment in Vienna, drop me a line...

Regards, Dave

#3 rafael ludescher

rafael ludescher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student
  • Vienna, Austria

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:31 PM

hello ! and greetings from (at the moment) topkino ;)

im on the "angewandte" so its art.. i dont need to "know" a lot for shooting myself .. as i dont have to hold on a concept someone else wrote..

and in this case i have another question as a newbie..

what is a DP ?

i am sorry for those (i guess for you) naiv questions :)

gr.rrrrF

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

"DP" or "DOP" mean Director of Photography.

"Short ends" are unexposed film leftover when you don't shoot an entire roll of movie film. Let's say you buy a 400' roll and shoot 350' of it -- you end up with a 50' unexposed short end. Big movie productions end up with a lot of short ends that they sell to dealers, who sell it at a discount, sort of "used" film so to speak, though never exposed. But you can never be quite sure as to how old the roll is, though they usually snip-test the head of the roll to determine aging.

Usually you need either a sunshade or mattebox to shade the lens from light flare. A mattebox makes it easier and quicker to stick filters in front of the lens.

It's hard to manually turn the zoom ring and the focus ring at the same time plus operate the camera (pan or tilt, etc.) Unless you're an alien with three arms & hands. You can use a microforce zoom control on the tripod handle to operate and zoom at the same time, and then use the other hand for focusing, though it's better to just have someone else doing the focus.

#5 rafael ludescher

rafael ludescher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student
  • Vienna, Austria

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

thank you very much !

do you maybe know somewhere like a dictionary for filmexpressions? not that i have to bother this forum to much with things like this :)

and how does it work to take out the not used filmmaterial ? isnt it supposed to not get any light on it ? do you need to change it in a redroom ? also for putting it in again ?

gr.rF

Edited by rafael ludescher, 07 August 2007 - 04:00 PM.

#6 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

do you maybe know somewhere like a dictionary for filmexpressions? not that i have to bother this forum to much with things like this :)

and how does it work to take out the not used filmmaterial ? isnt it supposed to not get any light on it ? do you need to change it in a redroom ? also for putting it in again ?

Check the recommended books section here. They'll give you a good start. Exposed or unexposed stock (film material) needs to be handled in complete darkness. Red light won't do. It must be dark, unless the film is loaded on a so called "daylight spool" then it can be handled in low light.

BTW, what class are you in? And who teaches it?

Regards, Dave

PS: Schreib mir ein Mail, beantworte dir Fragen gerne auch auf Deutsch.

#7 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hi Rafael,

Welcome to the Forum Here's a good link to start looking up film related terms, etc. And it's in Deutsch!

http://de.wikipedia....iki/Portal:Film

#8 rafael ludescher

rafael ludescher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student
  • Vienna, Austria

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:00 AM

Hi Rafael,

Welcome to the Forum Here's a good link to start looking up film related terms, etc. And it's in Deutsch!

http://de.wikipedia....iki/Portal:Film

thank you very much !

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Abel Cine

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc