#1 Curtis Mutter

Curtis Mutter

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:30 AM

Hi, First of all I'm new here, I've had my super 8 camera for about a year, but have just finally purchased a projector to display my films....Which means I am ready to get some cartridges and get out there and start filming!
My question then is what type of cartridges that are produced now-a-days would be compatible with my camera?
It's a Keystone XL200, and the instruction manual says that "your camera is designed to use super 8 film cartridges, color or black and white, with ASA speeds of either 25-40 or 100-160. Camera adjustments are automatic-there are no settings to make..."
I'm not exactly sure what all of that means, but I've heard that some new type of Kodak film isn't compatible with a whole lot of old cameras for reasons relating to ASA speeds and such. I guess my question is, what type of film currently being made will work on my camera?
Thanks for your time.

#2 Nick Norton

Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

Well you can find out information on all of the available super 8 films kodak has to offer here: http://www.kodak.com...o....22.4&lc=en

However, if your camera is automatic only (no manual overide) then you're going to have some problems with exposure due to the ASA speed of the films. If your camera does have some sort of manual function, i'd suggest a light meter to get a correct exposure.

Still, if your camera is automatic only or you don't feel like purchasing a light meter... i would suggest getting a Canon 518 Auto Zoom. It's a good beginner camera, can read the new films, and has a manual overide function. Plus, you can find one pretty easily on ebay for $20-$40.

Hope this helped-

#3 Curtis Mutter

Curtis Mutter

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the info, it helped a bunch. I'll definately be keeping a close eye on Ebay for one of those Canon 518's. Souns like alot better idea than trying to add a notch to a cartridge to get my current camera reading new film, or however that worked.
Thanks!

CineTape

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery