jasonjoseph

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:33 AM

Hi
Was wondering whats the noticeable difference between a cam with 1mil megapixels as compared to one with 600k megapixels?
we are in the process of buying a camera and its come down to the HDX900, the P2 HD 502 or the new HD P2100. (they may be called something else in the states, i'm in asia)
During a pre test with panasonic they showed us the P2 HD 502 (600k mgpx) and the HD P2100 (1mil mgpx) and i couldn't tell the difference.
of course there are different issues to consider with these cameras (price, variable frame rate etc etc) but when it came down to the hard sell it was only a difference in megapixels which i could not see on screen.

thanks in advance

#2 John Ealer

John Ealer
  • Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:03 AM

Pixel count is only one of many factors that determine the resolving power of a camera system...

As you know, the HPX-500's sensor has a much lower pixel count than the HPX-2000 or the HDX-900.

While all the cameras look good, but the HPX-2000 and the HDX-900 will definitely be sharper when placed side-by-side on a good screen. But the question is whether that additional level of sharpness is worth $10K to you.

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

It matters a lot what you use to view the test. If 600k looks the same as a meg, it means that the display device is most likely the limiting factor. CRT's are worthless for judging resolution. You need a front projection system, such as a DLP, that can map the data pixel for pixel to the screen. Native 1920 x 1080 looks very much sharper than upconverted 1280 x 720 that way, I'd figure that the 600 k to 1 meg step will be about as big as that 920 k to 2.1 meg difference.

-- J.S.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Wooden Camera