#1 Nick Norton

Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:36 AM

So i just got some 200T and 500T stock processed, and although my projector is not with me... i can tell the film is a negative.

I'm looking to get it transfered to miniDV via Frame Discreet, however do i send them the negative? Or do i have to have a positive printed first?

Thanks-

#2 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:43 PM

I am unfamiliar with frame discreet.

#3 jacob thomas

jacob thomas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

I am unfamiliar with frame discreet.

Frame Discreet specializes in film chain transfers of negative. Just send them the neg.

#4 e gustavo petersen

e gustavo petersen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA | CA | USA

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

Are you talking about a post production company by the name "Flame Discreet" or are you referring to the Flame the software formerly owned by Discreet and now owned by Autodesk?

Regardless of what the answer to my question is, if you're having the footage transferred, you're definitely sending them the neg. I just wanted some clarification on which Flame you meant.

#5 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:26 AM

So i just got some 200T and 500T stock processed, and although my projector is not with me... i can tell the film is a negative.

I'm looking to get it transfered to miniDV via Frame Discreet, however do i send them the negative? Or do i have to have a positive printed first?

Thanks-

It would be a good idea to avoid projecting any negative footage you have and waiting until it is transferred to video before viewing it.

#6 jacob thomas

jacob thomas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

Are you talking about a post production company by the name "Flame Discreet" or are you referring to the Flame the software formerly owned by Discreet and now owned by Autodesk?

Regardless of what the answer to my question is, if you're having the footage transferred, you're definitely sending them the neg. I just wanted some clarification on which Flame you meant.

Actually as mentioned there is a company called "Frame Discreet" that does 8mm and 16mm film chain transfers. Nothing to do with Flame, Discreet or Autodesk.
I think Justin Lovell who runs Frame Discreet is a member on this board, do a search and ask him directly.

#7 e gustavo petersen

e gustavo petersen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA | CA | USA

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

Actually as mentioned there is a company called "Frame Discreet" that does 8mm and 16mm film chain transfers. Nothing to do with Flame, Discreet or Autodesk.
I think Justin Lovell who runs Frame Discreet is a member on this board, do a search and ask him directly.

Ah... I see, very confusing. :(

#8 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:54 PM

Hey Guys,

Frame Discreet, that's us. www.framediscreet.com . Based in Toronto. Scanning super 8, max 8, reg 8, 16 and super 16. We can scan directly off the neg or from reversal film.

Oh and it's NOT a film chain transfer. We do frame by frame scans in 4:2:2. The 10bit signal is upconverted to 32bit for color correction and then sampled back down to be captured at 8/10 bit depeding on the job. We master out to DVCAM/miniDV/ data disc/ hard drive.

Got any questions, hit the website, or just ask :)

#9 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:08 AM

If you're looking for some online samples of super 8 or 16, check out our blog, we've been doing some interesting stuff with different cross-processes and such...

www.framediscreet.blogspot.com

Best!

#10 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

Hey Guys,

Frame Discreet, that's us. www.framediscreet.com . Based in Toronto. Scanning super 8, max 8, reg 8, 16 and super 16. We can scan directly off the neg or from reversal film.

Oh and it's NOT a film chain transfer. We do frame by frame scans in 4:2:2. The 10bit signal is upconverted to 32bit for color correction and then sampled back down to be captured at 8/10 bit depeding on the job. We master out to DVCAM/miniDV/ data disc/ hard drive.

Got any questions, hit the website, or just ask :)

I hear betacam sp recorders can be had for as little as 1,500.00 dollars these days. Would be interesting to see your transfers transcoded to R-Y, B-Y, Y from 32 bit color corrector.

#11 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:42 AM

Hey!

I'd actually be slightly losing resolution if mastered out to BETA SP if I came off the 10 bit capture file. Digi-Beta would be a much better format, but not a good enough Return on Investment for me. Rather spend that money on color correction hardware and a move to HD.

At this point, I find more people are requesting to have the original capture files on Hard Drive to avoid any more compression. (Plus it saves them time in the editing phase not having to recapture or find a Deck to rent).

#12 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

Hey!

I'd actually be slightly losing resolution if mastered out to BETA SP if I came off the 10 bit capture file.

Just as you do when you go to mini-dv or dvcam, however with betacam sp you are not limited by compression.

Yes, your demand is less but my point is the cost of the equipment is so low it still is an excellent Standard Def option, especially for broadcast

Digi-Beta would be a much better format, but not a good enough Return on Investment for me. Rather spend that money on color correction hardware and a move to HD.

Except that Digi Beta equipment costs 10 TIMES as much betacam sp does. Dollar for Dollar the betacam sp is still an excellent option.

At this point, I find more people are requesting to have the original capture files on Hard Drive to avoid any more compression. (Plus it saves them time in the editing phase not having to recapture or find a Deck to rent).

I read that some people are having success with this method, but then I read that several software programs don't work as well in the uncompressed mode as they do when sent in as a regular dv file. The beauty of betacam sp is one can notch up the quality to DV 50 when transfering to the computer AND actually gain in quality whereas with mini dv bumping up to DV 50 may or may not add anything.

lol, you probably are doing the rank transfer houses a favor by not offering betacam sp since that probably is still their bread and butter (along with digital betacam).

#13 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

does anyone do Super8 neg to 35mm workprint blowups?

#14 Justin Lovell

Justin Lovell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:50 PM

www.Lift.on.ca has the ability to do it in Toronto.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Visual Products

Opal

Abel Cine