#1 Aaron Hultin

Aaron Hultin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Other
  • Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

I have been looking to add a new microphone to my audio kit, and have been looking closely at the Sennheiser MKH-816. My budget allows for it, and from the reviews & information I have read, it looks top notch. I have only used the Azden SMG-2X and (very) recently, the Sennheiser ME66. Both have produced good results, but I would like to upgrade.

In terms of this price range, is there anything that is superior? How have your past experiences gone with this mic?

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

I have been looking to add a new microphone to my audio kit, and have been looking closely at the Sennheiser MKH-816. My budget allows for it, and from the reviews & information I have read, it looks top notch. I have only used the Azden SMG-2X and (very) recently, the Sennheiser ME66. Both have produced good results, but I would like to upgrade.

In terms of this price range, is there anything that is superior? How have your past experiences gone with this mic?

This mic is designed to be used outdoors or indoors in (preferably) large, non-reflective areas (such as a soundstage, for instance). If you need a mic to be used in tighter indoor situations, especially amongst hard, reflective surfaces, then a short shotgun such as the Sennheiser 416 would be more likely to give satisfactory results.

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:21 AM

I used an MKH416 for the first time a couple of weeks ago on a location shoot. I wasn't there to be the recordist but it turned out I was the only one there with any recording experience so I helped out. I was very impressed with the 416, dialogue recorded with it was the most uncolored, natural sounding I've heard out of a shotgun - in truth I thought all the waxing poetic about 416's and 816's was a bunch of self delusional hogwash. But I was wrong (at least about the 416), it's a good as they come for location work. I'll be buying one pretty soon.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

CineTape

The Slider

Abel Cine

Opal

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc