• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

Saw the new indie film "Once". I really liked it. IMDB says 35mm but someone lied.

Does anyone know the facts? Any articles out there?

It looks like 500 speed 16mm with an HD DI. There were DI credits and strangely enough you can see a few digital artifacts in some of the shots where they were maybe trying to push a little. It looks like they didn't bother lighting even one shot in this film. Somehow for this material it worked well overall. It was all about the music.

#2 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

HDV blown up to 35mm. I cant remember if it was recorded in HDV or dvcam mode to be honest. Tim the DP visits here occasionaly - im sure he'll fill you in if he spots this thread.

#3 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

I forgot to add that at least some of shots had to be some sort of lower end HD. The night stuff just dropped out too bad and some lights and things were blown out too much for film. Also even many of the lit shots had a very deep DOF pretty much all the time. If they didn't have a lighting package at all you'd think they would have been more wide open. If it was S16 then the lenses weren't too great and they must have been shooting at high Tstops and on 500 asa film pushed or something. Well now I'm starting to doubt the whole film thing altogether.

With all the DI manipulation going on, it's hard to tell sometimes if something was purposely made to look more "gritty" or not. I know the last one I saw, 28 Weeks Later, looked 10 times as good and was S16mm. If once was S16 then the DI people was trying for a video look much of the time.

Whatever the case, it was not 35mm film and I'd bet my camera on that. Who fills out that IMDB crap anyway?

#4 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:45 PM

HDV blown up to 35mm. I cant remember if it was recorded in HDV or dvcam mode to be honest. Tim the DP visits here occasionaly - im sure he'll fill you in if he spots this thread.

Hey looks like you posted when I was writing my new post, sorry about that. So something was weird then... cool. You should mention to him about the IMDB tech posting though.

This explains all the artifacts I saw. Still a great movie though! ...dont get me wrong!

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC