#1 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

Hey all,

I'm currently 1st'ing a 10 day shoot on the Arri 416 -- we're on day 3 and we've has been having some problems with the mags. They all seem to be a bit noisy, making a low clicking sound during part of the 400' roll. It's never consistent, and sometimes it's louder or quieter. We've checked the loops, played with the pitch adjust, checked the feed and take ups, and found no emulsion build up or emulsion chips. When we prepped the camera at Otto Nemenz on Friday, all the mags ran whisper quiet with a 200' dummy load. My 2nd AC is very experienced, and we've pretty much run out of ideas. Can you guys suggest anything? Should we call Arri?

Thanks guys!

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

I'd try Otto first and see what they say. Maybe they'll send you a replacement mag or two to see if they do the same thing, although it seems unlikely that it's the mags since they all do it. If they're stumped you can try Arri.

#3 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:17 PM

Ok, thanks Brad. That's what we'll do.

I was hoping to hear from others who've used the 416 in particular and had any specific camera tips. Anyone else have this problem with the 416?

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:27 PM

Haven't had that issue with a 416, although it did come up once strangely when I was on a shoot using an Aaton XTR.

We had some brand new cans and some recans from Media Distributors. I noticed while loading that the recans weren't wound nearly as tight and weren't flush with the core, and those were the only rolls where we had a similar problem such as yours.

Perhaps they're recans you're working with? If not, I dunno what it might be :/

#5 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:06 AM

Perhaps they're recans you're working with?

Nope, factory fresh stock from Kodak in LA. I've also had that issue with an XTR Prod once (one of Barry's, actually!), but that was fresh stock as well. That was the one time I tried a 13 perf loop (as recommended by the manual) -- I switched back to a 14 perf loop and the problem went away.

Well, the mags are still a bit noisy -- sometimes they're whisper silent for parts of the roll before the noise kicks in, and sometimes they're more noisy and and stay that way. The 2nd AC started using a slightly larger loop and that seems to have helped slightly. Now we think maybe the mags just need to be "broken in" a bit -- at our camera prep, the tech mentioned that this camera had only been out once before. Or maybe some parts of the movement need lubrication or adjustment. Unfortunately, we're on location in northern California and don't have time to send the camera back to LA for service. Otherwise the shoot is going very well. No dailies yet, though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

#6 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

Nope, factory fresh stock from Kodak in LA. I've also had that issue with an XTR Prod once (one of Barry's, actually!), but that was fresh stock as well. That was the one time I tried a 13 perf loop (as recommended by the manual) -- I switched back to a 14 perf loop and the problem went away.

The manual recommends a 14-15 frame loop, which is 15-16 perfs. Many AC's will understand this is a 14-15 perf loop, but they actually mean whole frames.

#7 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

Nope, factory fresh stock from Kodak in LA. I've also had that issue with an XTR Prod once (one of Barry's, actually!)

Ha ha! That's precisely what I was talking about. It's probably just an issue with one of his mags then.

#8 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:22 AM

The manual recommends a 14-15 frame loop, which is 15-16 perfs. Many AC's will understand this is a 14-15 perf loop, but they actually mean whole frames.

Oops, sorry Nathan! Several camera techs have recommended a 13 perf loop on the Aaton to me, which I guess is where I remembered it from.

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Opal

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

CineLab