Photo

I don't think this one's a scam, do you?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

Saw this on eBay and got a laugh. It may be taken down by the time you look at it, but the description was choice.

Arriflex SR III Super-16-Motion Picture Camera

The wording on the ad, in case it has already been removed:

You're bidding on an original Arriflex SR III Super-16mm camera in very good condition. This item is fully functional and will benefit the aspiring film maker. The camera shows very small signs of worn and torn. What you see is what you get.

This item is very inexpensive, considering that most film packages can range from 10-200k. Only bid if you're in this Country (U.S), because the shipping cost is more expensive over seas, sorry. I'm only selling this because I'm in financial trouble, debt, eveiction, etc. This item belong to my brother before he decided to turn it in and head into the military, since then it's been in the back of the garage, that's why it's time for it to go.

This camera includes: Arri SR - 3 Standard, 3 x 400 time code magazines, Zeiss 11 - 110, MB-164 x4 Matte Box, Follow focus, 19mm support, 19mm sliding base plate. NTSC color tap, 4 on board batteries, eye peice extension and lever. I accept paypal and money orders only.

I think the seller could use a little spell check and maybe a lesson in English grammar.

Buyer beware.
-Tim

#2 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:42 AM

Saw this on eBay and got a laugh. It may be taken down by the time you look at it, but the description was choice.

Arriflex SR III Super-16-Motion Picture Camera

The wording on the ad, in case it has already been removed:
I think the seller could use a little spell check and maybe a lesson in English grammar.

Buyer beware.
-Tim

My favorite line....

"Only bid if you're in this Country (U.S)"

I don't think those of us who are actually in "this country" need to be reminded where we are. LOL

"This item belong to my brother before he decided to turn it in and head into the military, since then it's been in the back of the garage, that's why it's time for it to go."

Turn it in? Where? Wait, I though you just said you were selling because you were in financial trouble? So he just got up one day, walked out the door to join the Military, and was never seen again? I don't know anyone in the Military that can afford that equipment. I'm thinking this guys brother had some shady dealings. That's probably why he never returned from "the military". Tony Soprano fitted him with some cement shoes.

Funny how the scammers all use Paypal, and people wonder why I wont.

Edited by AdamBray, 14 August 2007 - 11:47 AM.

#3 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

>don't think those of us who are actually in "this country" need to be reminded where we are.

Actually we may do. I'm not in the US and neither are many people.
From what I see on eBay discussion boards, many US buyers act as if they are unaware of the existence of the UK. Many pay in dollars instead of pounds and complain about excessive postage because they apparently don't know the UK is not a US state!

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:21 PM

It has to be a scam. Who in their right mind would sell an SR3 for $1800, or even $10,000 for that matter? If I thought there was any chance it was real I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

#5 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

of course hes legit, i mean they don't give a 0 rating to just anyone.

#6 A. Whitehouse

A. Whitehouse
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Director
  • Melbourne

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

People are bidding...

#7 Jack Friels

Jack Friels

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:29 AM

My favorite line....

"Only bid if you're in this Country (U.S)"

I don't think those of us who are actually in "this country" need to be reminded where we are. LOL
"This item belong to my brother before he decided to turn it in and head into the military, since then it's been in the back of the garage, that's why it's time for it to go."

Turn it in? Where? Wait, I though you just said you were selling because you were in financial trouble? So he just got up one day, walked out the door to join the Military, and was never seen again? I don't know anyone in the Military that can afford that equipment. I'm thinking this guys brother had some shady dealings. That's probably why he never returned from "the military". Tony Soprano fitted him with some cement shoes.
Funny how the scammers all use Paypal, and people wonder why I wont.

I'm completely new to the whole ebay thing so i'm relatively ignorant...why do the scammers all use paypal? You worry me with this comment considering this guy i want to buy off told me that he only does paypal.

#8 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

I'm completely new to the whole ebay thing so i'm relatively ignorant...why do the scammers all use paypal? You worry me with this comment considering this guy i want to buy off told me that he only does paypal.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Becareful about buying stuff via Paypal, especially on Ebay. If you get ripped off, you're SOL and the scammers know this.

#9 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:02 AM

Becareful about buying stuff via Paypal, especially on Ebay. If you get ripped off, you're SOL and the scammers know this.

The scammers are not too hard to spot.

They normally only accept Paypal or Western Union.

They will have 0 feedback or "strange" sales history. The sales history might show they have been selling nothing but stuffed animals for the past two years. Then they are suddenly selling $5,000 video cameras. This is because a scammer "hijacked" a legit users account and has taken it over.

They make "too good to be true" deals. Like new $5,000 video cameras selling for $2,500.

Just post the link and ask others if it looks legit. Most people familiar with Ebay can spot a fake pretty easy.

If you're looking at buying film or video equipment and are not sure if it's a legit deal, just post up a link in here and I'm sure we can tell you.

good luck.

#10 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:28 AM

I especially like how he used the same photo and flipped it to trick people into thinking they were seeing both views of the setup, ha ha!

#11 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:23 AM

A good way to flush out a scammer is to ask a very specific question about the camera. Or ask a question about something that doesn't exist on the camera. "Does this SR3 have an HD video tap?" or "Are those the self rewindable mags?" I've found that most of the scammers just answer yes to any question about the fake gear they are selling.
Also, a lot of scammers have their cohorts bid on their fake items to make them look legit and drive the price up.

#12 Jack Friels

Jack Friels

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:23 AM

The scammers are not too hard to spot.

They normally only accept Paypal or Western Union.

They will have 0 feedback or "strange" sales history. The sales history might show they have been selling nothing but stuffed animals for the past two years. Then they are suddenly selling $5,000 video cameras. This is because a scammer "hijacked" a legit users account and has taken it over.

They make "too good to be true" deals. Like new $5,000 video cameras selling for $2,500.

Just post the link and ask others if it looks legit. Most people familiar with Ebay can spot a fake pretty easy.
If you're looking at buying film or video equipment and are not sure if it's a legit deal, just post up a link in here and I'm sure we can tell you.

good luck.

Thanks for that.

#13 Jack Friels

Jack Friels

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:39 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...:PIC&ih=001

Does anyone think this one looks sus? I'm tempted.

#14 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...:PIC&ih=001

Does anyone think this one looks sus? I'm tempted.

Looks legit to me. I don't see any red flags.

#15 Pete Von Tews

Pete Von Tews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Concord CA USA

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:09 AM

This is the rare special model of the SR3 that features the same controls on both sides of the camera!

#16 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:15 AM

This is the rare special model of the SR3 that features the same controls on both sides of the camera!

It's a manufacturing flaw. That's why the camera is so cheap.

#17 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:20 PM

Well, the auction has been removed, so obviously it was a scam.

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Glidecam