#1 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

Hi, I am intending to make a film in polaroid images, photographs and motion, a la Chris Marker. Now I was wondering what is the best way to do this do you think? I dont have access to a rostrum so what is the second best alternative- investing in a animation stand maybe? Is there any consideration to take into account with light metering when shooting still imagery? Thanks!!

#2 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

Anyone...? :)

#3 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

Depends on what you mean by filming. I have used still images in a film project, ala Ken Burns, by scanning the images into a digital scanner, and then combining them with live footage in an editing program like Final Cut Pro, and then you could do a DI for a film out if you needed the final exhibition format to be film. If the exhibition format is DVD, then you can bring that right out of FCP.

As far as filming the actual photographs with a motion picture camera, I would assume you could do that with a simple copy stand set up.

-Tim

#4 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:05 AM

As far as filming the actual photographs with a motion picture camera, I would assume you could do that with a simple copy stand set up.

-Tim

I am going to be using an ebm with a Kern vario 16-100mm poe. I dont suppose you know whether there was any setup made for particular lens? I have seen a setup for macro photography that looks interesting but I think it might be rare, thanks

#5 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:23 AM

I am going to be using an ebm with a Kern vario 16-100mm poe. I dont suppose you know whether there was any setup made for particular lens?

You might be looking at something like this: Kaiser R1.
Check out www.bhphoto.com they have a large selection of copy stands. I own a Kaiser, which I really like.

The only problem I can imagine with a zoom lens is not being able to focus close enough. You might need a diopter or a prime lens which focuses close enough. Of course this depends on the size of your photos. My stand allows for around 1m/3ft of distance between the camera and the base plate. HTH
Cheers, Dave

Edited by David Auner, 21 August 2007 - 05:25 AM.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

CineTape

CineLab