ahmad ikhwan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:55 PM

hi

i am a student filmmaker. totally a beginner.

i need to know what should i do to achieve a dream like sequence... I am going to shoot on HVX200. the scene is going to be bright, yellow-ish and white-ish, overexposed... a heavenly scene kinda look..

so, what should i do with the camera settings? should i play with color temperature? or is it better to do the trick by lighting only? is there any other things that i should consider? please let me know.

and also i would like the scene to be in slow-mo. should i do it on the camera? if so.. how do i do it? or is it better to do it on post?

Thank You so much. I apologize if my questions are not challenging enough.

#2 Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UTAH

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:14 PM

Do it all in post. If you want slow mo, then overcrank and shoot it 60 fps in camera, then conform it to 24 fps in post. (You have to use P2 cards for 60 fps). That way it's true slow-mo, not some phooey post gimmick.

Don't over expose or adjust color in camera, shoot it all properly then you can play with looks later, rather then locking yourself into a look and blowing out your video, never to get it back.

Play with a lot of filters to soften your image, if that's the look you're going for. You can also use a 1A filter with like vasiline or something if you get really crazy. For a "imagination" sequence I did that opens a movie I used a 35mm lens adapter with the ground glass vibrator turned off on my HVX200. A lot of people didn't like it here, but I wouldn't have done it differently. I shot it in 60fps like mentioned.

Good luck!

- Greg

#3 ahmad ikhwan

ahmad ikhwan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:00 AM

wow. your movie looks amazing. what 35mm adapter did you use? Thanks for your suggestion. The dream scene is really short. So, I think i can shoot and experiment it with different set up.

what is ground glass vibrator? where is it placed on the camera?

thank you! =)

#4 Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UTAH

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

The adapter was called the Letus 35. It's a ghetto home made thing I bought online for cheap,.. and it is cheap alright.

It's an aluminum tube with 72mm threads on one side, and Nikon AI mount on the other. So you fasten the tube to your filter threads, and then I put my Nikon 50mm lens on the other end of the tube. In the center, inside the tube, is a suspended garmin LCD protector screen that is used here as a substitute for ground glass. Since it's such poor quality there is a lot of texture (what you see). To hinder all that texture a little cell phone vibrator is attached to the suspended LCD protector (mock ground glass) screen to make it wiggle when it's being used. This then will motion blur the texture when you're shooting at a normal shutter i.e 1/48th.

In that little sequence I thought the texture would add some mood, and differentiate itself from the rest of the movie. But like I mention a lot of people didn't like it here, but what do they know?

(more than me usually,.. ha ha!)

Hope that heps!

- Greg

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc