#1 Ashley Barron

Ashley Barron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:50 PM

Hello!
I am to shoot a script where a kid witnesses his father's death at the start and the moment before this happens is very dramatic and magical and beautiful and vibrant. The scenes following are quite static with the boy being completely silent and numb. However, there are moments in various scenes where he has a reminder of his father and the he clicks and the style goes back to that initial scene where everything is vibrant and dramatic and alive.
My question here is how do you achieve this change in style and POV within a scene without it being corny or over-the-top..
I was advised to perhaps add a hair light or kicker in the shots featured in this change. I think that much of the vibrance can come from grading in post. But there has got to be more I can do than that as it has to be a substantial yet beautiful change - we have to be reminded of relation to his father etc.
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Ash.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:11 AM

This sort of p.o.v. shift is more often done through a change in image quality, rather than lighting. For example the before-death scenes might be rendered with warmer and more saturated colors, and the "after" in a more somber cool color temperature and less saturated. Changing the image quality while keeping the lighting consistent can suggest to the viewer that the perception of reality has changed, not that that the reality itself has changed. If you change the lighting too much, you may begin to suggest to the viewer that the reality of the situation portrayed has changed, like it may be a dream sequence.

But there are a lot of subtle changes you can do with the lighting to signal a shift in the emotional p.o.v. Rather than focusing on details like "kickers" and such, I would suggest designing different qualities of light for the different p.o.v.'s. The warm memories might be done with brighter and harder highlights provide by sunlight, while the more somber scenes lit with more muted and less contrasty light.

#3 Ashley Barron

Ashley Barron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

Thanks very much for that Michael, I'm gonna look into.
Very much appreciated!
Ash.

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Visual Products