Daniel Ainsworth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

Hello,
I will be gaffing a short film in the upcoming months and I had a few questions. There will be an underwater scene. A young girl swims to a treasure chest. Any suggestions about how to light a scene underwater, (murky water in order to see light beams). We won't have underwater lights. Besides that our package is pretty extensive.

Another shot requires a dying flashlight on a table. We wanted the flashlight to be facing open toward camera, so we can see the source flickering and dying, I have been trying to look, but do they create bulbs that flicker in such a way. Any ideas?

Thank you.

-Daniel

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:15 AM

If Kinoflo's are in your kit, you can put those underwater, just make sure the ballast isn't near it...that would be bad.

I'm curious to hear other people's methods of creating smoke-effect like murk underwater :)

#3 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:26 AM

Another shot requires a dying flashlight on a table. We wanted the flashlight to be facing open toward camera, so we can see the source flickering and dying, I have been trying to look, but do they create bulbs that flicker in such a way. Any ideas?

Yip,

the type of bulb is called a 'flashlight bulb' - its the voltage that causes the flicker

#4 Daniel Ainsworth

Daniel Ainsworth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:33 AM

Yip,

the type of bulb is called a 'flashlight bulb' - its the voltage that causes the flicker

der, forgot about that, thanks.

Kinos are included thank you as well. I didn't realize they were designed to be placed underwater? From experience if light needs to travel from above to say a 4ft shallow end of a pool, at night, would 2ks be enough, or should I be using much more. I am just unsure about how much the water will cause the light to dissipate.

I know when you shock a swimming pool with chlorine that would cause a murky look for a little bit.

Edited by Daniel Ainsworth, 20 August 2007 - 11:37 AM.

#5 Xavier Plaza

Xavier Plaza
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Guayaquil - Ecuador

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:22 PM

If Kinoflo's are in your kit, you can put those underwater, just make sure the ballast isn't near it...that would be bad.

I'm curious to hear other people's methods of creating smoke-effect like murk underwater :)

Hi Jonathan, did you say Kino's work well under water?, I didn't know that :blink: , what is the deepest depth they support...?

Thanks for the info

Xavier Plaza

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Pro 8mm

Metropolis Post

Quantum Music Works

CineLab

The Slider

Abel Cine

Zylight