#1 justinbrown

justinbrown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Maidenhead, UK

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

On the 3rd of september im filming for 11 days in vietnam. Its a 15 min documentary on Photojournalism. Our budgets been cut quite lt and only now have the choice of filming on the JVC HD100U or the Sony Z1, i've used the JVC many times, but never the Z1.
We dont have the budget for Pro 35. And we will have matte box filters etc.
So i was wondering if anyone had used both and would be able to give me advise on which would give me the best image and best suited to documentary filming. Also any pro's vs con's of both cameras.

Thankyou

#2 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:08 AM

Hi Justin,

I have shot some industrial film railway footage on the Z1. I liked the relative sharpness of the image, but was unhappy with the handling of the camera. It was even worse than my SD PD150. I have fooled around with the HD100 a couple of times but never shot any more than a couple of tests. Here, the handling was much better, comparable to a large DVCAM/Beta. But the viewfinder isn't all that great. Very hard to see whether you're sharp when wide open. At least the lens barrel features a normal distance marked focus ring. So for shooting doco I'd prefer the camera that handles better, for me that'd be the JVC. And be sure to get the wide lens as well! And the V-mount battery adapter or something similar won't hurt either. The cam will be more balanced on your should.

But the best thing to do is rent both cameras for a day and try & see which one you like better. I am sure than editing is also an issue (720p vs 1080i).

Cheers, Dave

#3 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

I wouldn't worry about the gear, enjoy the country. I've been to over 60 countries, Vietnam is THE most amazing place I've been, the landscapes, the people... it will touch you....

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Glidecam

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio