#1 ehab assal

ehab assal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

Is there any info on the new sony XDCAM EX HD ???

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:02 AM

Is there any info on the new sony XDCAM EX HD ???

Try this:

http://www.xdcamuser...uk/articles.php

#3 Sakari Suuronen

Sakari Suuronen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Student
  • Tampere, Finland

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

Shame that the color sampling is 4:2:0. Still, it looks interesting.

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:11 PM

Some more links:

http://www.sonybiz.n...d=1187079500753

http://www.dvuser.co...ent.php?CID=171

http://www.sonybiz.n...87079501109.pdf

#5 gregory mandry

gregory mandry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:56 PM

Red promise a pie in the sky camera some time in the 21st century (at this rate that?ll be obsolete when and if it ever gets mass produced) - dependable, reliable Sony bring out what looks like a useful bit of kit and this is all the appraisal info we have?

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:26 PM

this is all the appraisal info we have?

Both the RED camera and the EX camera are rather new so it's no surprise that user feedback is limited so far.

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Red promise a pie in the sky camera some time in the 21st century (at this rate that?ll be obsolete when and if it ever gets mass produced) - dependable, reliable Sony bring out what looks like a useful bit of kit and this is all the appraisal info we have?

Hi,

I was supposed to test one for a shoot last week, there seems to be a delay! Looks like an interesting camera.

Stephen

#8 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

Great little camera. One of our longtime clients picked up his today and was testing it out in the shop. I'm looking to this as a very big seller/renter.

#9 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

Great little camera. One of our longtime clients picked up his today and was testing it out in the shop. I'm looking to this as a very big seller/renter.

Hi Mitch,

I was thinking of buying one for 'home movies'.

Stephen

#10 Joe Walker

Joe Walker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Birmingham, AL

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:57 AM

Can any of you guys confirm if the vignette problems I've been hearing about are true? I've read on a few forums that between 10mm and 25mm on the lens that some cameras are experiencing mild vignetting in the upper left and upper right corners. Thanks.

#11 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:30 AM

Went to Macworld today and hung around the B&H kiosk for a good half hour, playing with the XDCAM EX. I can safely say, of all the prosumer HD cameras, it probably has the best glass I've seen. It looks like a legit Fujinon lens with some great contrast, sharpness and detail that surpasses Canon's latest.

I would LOVE to perform a full test of the camera and take it through the workflow of swapping the SxS cards in and out.

But just viewing it on a calibrated HD monitor at Macworld, I was really impressed.

#12 A. Whitehouse

A. Whitehouse
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Director
  • Melbourne

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:24 AM

I would LOVE to perform a full test of the camera and take it through the workflow of swapping the SxS cards in and out.

Hi Johnathon,
I was never that impressed with the Z1's lens but I loved its ergonomics and it was designed with a shooter in mind. How did you find it compared to the Z1 and aren't Sony Cams generally Zeiss glass? What was the flip out LCD like and did you notice a shallower DOF with the new slightly larger sensors?

Thanks

Sasha

#13 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

aren't Sony Cams generally Zeiss glass?
Sasha

Hi,

Designed by Zeiss, but not made in Germany.

Stephen

#14 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:10 PM

Different Sony factory. Most Sony camcorders are done through the consumer division. This unit was very purposefully done through the design group and factory that produces the Cine Alta line (hence the Cine Alta label on the camera). This group decided to work with Fujinon to design a lens for the EX-1.

#15 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

aren't Sony Cams generally Zeiss glass?

Only in name.

I never used the Z1 extensively, but that's because I didn't care too much for it.

#16 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:15 PM

I got to take a look at one of these at my local rental company yesterday and i was impressed. Just from playing with it briefly, to my eye the 1080p images looked almost on a par with a Sony 750 - perhaps better in some ways. The glass looked lovely and the depth of field was nice. I agree with Mitch - i think this is going to be a big renter/seller.

#17 Brian Dilg

Brian Dilg

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

After seeing the very thorough demo at DuArt NY a few weeks ago side by side with 35mm, Super 16, F900, HVX 200, and Red One printed to 35mm as well as via 4k digital projector and being more than impressed, we picked one up last week. Have been scrambling to get fluent on it before we head overseas on Thursday to continue shooting this feature doc across four countries. (let's hope I remember to switch the anti-flicker to 50 Hz!) Will have a thorough evaluation by the time I get back, but so far more pleased than I expected to be.

Thoroughly puzzled by one critical aspect of picture quality which has me stumped as to which format to shoot: the camera can shoot in 1080 or 720 at 24p, 30p, or 60i, in either HQ (1920x1080) or SP (1440x1080 "thin raster") mode. What's disconcerting is that if the camera is connected straight to a 42" Sony Bravia 1080p LCD HDTV via the analog component output, the 30p and especially the 24p modes are horrendously jittery on any kind of movement. The camera pulls everything down to 60i internally (the Avid, and, I assume, FCP, throws away the pulldown if you import 24p clips into a 24p project), but while the native 60i modes scream "video!" and have the kind of jagged interlacing that just reaffirms your desire to gun down whoever thought of interlacing in the first place, the 24p mode has no interlacing artifacts, but movement is unbearably jittery.

Importing the clips into the Avid and playing them directly off the DVI port into the same monitor via HDMI doesn't demonstrate any of that jitteriness, but the computer is outputting 1080p, not 1080i. But since ultimately most audiences will be seeing letterboxed 480i DVDs, I'm pretty damn sure the pulldown jitter is going to be there. It's so bad that I can't even consider the 24p mode viable, but I hate the 60i mode.

Has anyone noticed a similar artifact on other 24p cameras - DVX, HVX, etc? This is pissing me off so much, tomorrow I'm pulling out my good old DVX-100 to compare it. I know it never looked this bad in terms of pulldown.

Other than that, the control over the toe and shoulder, hue and saturation, the 1-60fps frame rates, time lapse, 1/2" chips instead of 1/3", working tapeless, the onboard monitor and pretty much everything else is damned amazing in a $6500 camera. If only the cards didn't cost $900 for 50 minutes of recording, plus another $70 per 50GB XDCAM disc if you - duh - actually want to save your media instead of throwing it away. But I'll take it to be able to keep the intimidation factor low on docs and shoot 1920x1080 at this price point...

- Brian Dilg
director/cinematographer

#18 Boyd McCollum

Boyd McCollum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Boulder, CO

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

After seeing the very thorough demo at DuArt NY a few weeks ago side by side with 35mm, Super 16, F900, HVX 200, and Red One printed to 35mm as well as via 4k digital projector and being more than impressed, we picked one up last week. Have been scrambling to get fluent on it before we head overseas on Thursday to continue shooting this feature doc across four countries. (let's hope I remember to switch the anti-flicker to 50 Hz!) Will have a thorough evaluation by the time I get back, but so far more pleased than I expected to be.

- Brian Dilg
director/cinematographer

Brian,

Unless it was another demo at Duart, I had heard that the HVX200 was not there. Can you confirm that it was and how did it do? The discussion I had about this demo centered on the RED and that it didn't perform well, resolution-wise, in windowed 2k mode vs. the EX-1.

Thanks,

Boyd

Edited by Boyd McCollum, 12 March 2008 - 12:49 AM.

#19 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:03 AM

n I had about this demo centered on the RED and that it didn't perform well, resolution-wise, in windowed 2k mode vs. the EX-1.

Thanks,

Boyd

RED in 2K mode is very soft. MUCH MUCH softer than if you shot 4K and then rendered out 2K files. I'd stay away from shooting RED 2K.....

jb

#20 Michael Maier

Michael Maier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:39 AM

Importing the clips into the Avid and playing them directly off the DVI port into the same monitor via HDMI doesn't demonstrate any of that jitteriness, but the computer is outputting 1080p, not 1080i. But since ultimately most audiences will be seeing letterboxed 480i DVDs, I'm pretty damn sure the pulldown jitter is going to be there. It's so bad that I can't even consider the 24p mode viable, but I hate the 60i mode.

Yes, the camera doesn't record pulldown. At least not in HQ mode. Not sure in SP mode as I never use it. But as the component output is an analog signal it has to convert it to interlaced. Component is really not a good way to monitor progressive HD. You should have a SDI monitor for that on set. Then you will see no interlaced effects. But in any case you only see that because you are looking at an analog signal. In fact, this is not present in the footage you recorded.

Has anyone noticed a similar artifact on other 24p cameras - DVX, HVX, etc? This is pissing me off so much, tomorrow I'm pulling out my good old DVX-100 to compare it. I know it never looked this bad in terms of pulldown.

Maybe on the DVX100 it's less obvious because it has 1/4 of the resolution so you are allowed to be more sloppy when panning.
As with any 24p camera you need to be careful when panning, just like with a film camera. If you are not you will see the jitter. I never notice any when it's panned right with the EX1.

Edited by Michael Maier, 12 March 2008 - 02:42 AM.

Opal

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks