#1 Anthony Savini

Anthony Savini

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

Hey everyone, I have an opportunity to go to Baghdad and I?m looking for some input from anyone who might have gone recently. I?m trying to get past the media filter here in the US.
We won?t be following soldiers, and we will be specifically avoiding the hot spots, looking at the rebuilding efforts.

Thanks for the input.

Anthony

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:04 PM

you must be insane ,bye ,bye .

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

you must be insane ,bye ,bye .

Hi John,

A local 1st AC I know is on his third trip this year! He's been shooting a documentary with a Sony F900/3, I hear the pay is good!

Stephen

#4 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:35 PM

A local 1st AC I know is on his third trip this year! He's been shooting a documentary with a Sony F900/3, I hear the pay is good!

An F900 in Iraq! Sounds insane, well at least demanding! But I guess they are sort of built as an ENG camera.

Edited by Andy_Alderslade, 21 August 2007 - 02:35 PM.

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

An F900 in Iraq! Sounds insane, well at least demanding! But I guess they are sort of built as an ENG camera.

Hi Andy,

He normally gets jobs shooting with a PD150 so he thought it was a good for his resume, he is also shooting timelapse with a D200. The pay is rather good which I think tipped the balance!

Stephen

#6 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

He normally gets jobs shooting with a PD150 so he thought it was a good for his resume, he is also shooting timelapse with a D200. The pay is rather good which I think tipped the balance!

Hi Stephen,

When you say D200 - I assume you mean the stills camera?

Because when i first read that, I thought you meant D20, now that would be challenging!

I guess when shooting somewhere where the probability of danger is so high, you are either going to be there for morals or money.

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

Hi Stephen,

When you say D200 - I assume you mean the stills camera?

Because when i first read that, I thought you meant D20, now that would be challenging!

I guess when shooting somewhere where the probability of danger is so high, you are either going to be there for morals or money.

Hi Andy,

Nikon D200 stills camera!

Stephen

#8 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:09 PM

Hi Andy,

Nikon D200 stills camera!

Stephen

Thought so, is there a special set up for that (perhaps connected to a lap top), or is simply a matter of setting the camera up on interval times with a large memory card?

Andy

#9 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

Thought so, is there a special set up for that (perhaps connected to a lap top), or is simply a matter of setting the camera up on interval times with a large memory card?

Andy

Hi Andy,

The D200 will do timelapse on it's own, however the max no of recorded frames is 999l. I think he is using a 4gb card & recording raw data.

Stephen

#10 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11938 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:17 PM

I'd do it, assuming reasonable money, but then I have no dependents and I'd want a lot of assurances about the security situation, emergency repatriation, insurance, etc.

Phil

#11 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:27 PM

I'd do it, assuming reasonable money, but then I have no dependents and I'd want a lot of assurances about the security situation, emergency repatriation, insurance, etc.

Phil

Hi Phil,

He missed one trip because he was negotiating those matters, seems the production co had no problem replacing him. He did quite a good deal 24 days straight, same for shoot, travel, bad weather days off etc! so he is quite happy, last year he was very broke.

Stephen

#12 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

The D200 will do timelapse on it's own, however the max no of recorded frames is 999l. I think he is using a 4gb card & recording raw data.

Ah excellent, low cost and excellent quality in one. I will have to see if I can rent one day.

I imagine post may be a bit laborious but none the less.

Thanks Stephen

Cheers,
Andy

#13 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Ah excellent, low cost and excellent quality in one. I will have to see if I can rent one day.

I imagine post may be a bit laborious but none the less.

Thanks Stephen

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy,

Photoshop has batch process, I am sure Phil can advise on the best post workflow.

Stephen

#14 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:54 PM

I know three documentary makers that went there. All three are dead now.

Have a safe trip.

#15 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11938 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:56 PM

> He missed one trip because he was negotiating those matters

I "missed" (or more to the point, turned down by default) several trips to Angola on this sort of basis - and Angola is mainly a landmine issue; there's unlikely to be anyone actively trying to kill you there. I would have very much liked to do it, but it just didn't seem well organised. Taking risks is one thing; taking increased risks because someone's being cheap is quite another.

There should be a list of at least twenty or thirty factors which have to be right before doing this sort of thing. Have the return ticket in your hand; don't give up your travel documents to anyone; take plenty of local currency and US dollars; take the appropriate hazardous-environment courses before you go. Take a sat phone or two; know who to call in an emergency. Find out who's providing transport; ensure you won't be in the hands of the director's friend who lives locally and might be available on the days you might be shooting, if his car hasn't broken down. Be insured for life, medical expenses, and equipment with you (or your nearest and dearest), not the director, producer or production company named as beneficiary.

And dozens of points more.

But let the record stand: I am very ready to do it, if anyone wants me to!

Timelapse: Yes, Photoshop will batch convert the camera RAW images to something like TIFF, but evaluate whether it's not worth just taking superfine JPEGs in the first place. If you're doing SD, or even HD with a sufficiently oversampled image, the difference will be negligible. The only contraindication to this is if you're hoping to do a lot of whizzy grading on it; in this circumstance, you will wish to maintain the high bit depth for the raw image. Photoshop documents, TIFFs, and DPX images support high bit depths, among others, as do both After Effects and Premiere. Given that your stills sequences will have sequentially numbered filenames, in most NLEs and effects packages, importing them as footage will be a one or two-click operation.

Phil

#16 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:06 PM

There's another entrepreneur turned filmmaker named Charles Ferguson who went to Baghdad to shoot a documentary there with a MASSIVE security team. He drove in from Turkey. Before even getting to Baghdad, there was three attempts to kill him.

Edited by AdamBray, 21 August 2007 - 09:07 PM.

#17 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:56 AM

Surely there's somewhere that looks similar enough to Baghdad, that isn't crawling with insurgents. Irans got to be better.

Not that it would stop me anyway...

#18 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

Surely there's somewhere that looks similar enough to Baghdad, that isn't crawling with insurgents. Irans got to be better.

Not that it would stop me anyway...

San Bernardino?
Barstow?

#19 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:23 AM

Phil. please dont go to Iraq . :ph34r:

#20 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

San Bernardino?
Barstow?

Good choices for terrain -- for architecture you might try Mexico.

-- J.S.

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

The Slider