#1 G McMahon

G McMahon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:14 AM

Hello all,

Apologies, there are far too many pages on reels to wade through.

Four months ago, I released a reel to moderate success. I am about to release my next one.

My first reel was devided as such, drama/ lighting/ 2nd unit montage, corporate/ documentary and last a cut sequences page.

I am at a loss with the new reel. Questions:
1. Do I follow the same track (I do not see the point in really updating my corporate, didn't really grab footage from work I did)?
2. Do I keep some of the old footage which I still believe makes the grade, or do companies want to only see the latter stuff?
3. If I do not keep the old footage, do I just mix all the new footage together and attach the old reels as an option?
4. Regarding the montage, should I try and block the shots to projects, or scenes, or just go hard out of the blocks with my stronger stuff at the front?
5. My opinion is to show diversity in the looks of the work I have done, even though there may be no dynamic to the shot, is that prudent?

A side note. A short I have shot, the producer is being a child about letting me have the footage even though the project has been finished and screened. Besides being the right thing to do, do I have any legal legs to stand on to obtain this footage?

Thank you,

#2 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

Hi, my personal POV is that it depends upon How are you trying to sell yourself as a DoP, Director, Camera Operator?
and besides doing and the money, things that you feel and have confidence being really good at. I.E. There are some Directors that feel comfortable about shooting with kids, and they deliver. There are people that do very good as well shooting car commercials, motorcycles. There are Food and tabletop DoP's and cameraman, etc. so therefore your work may include other things but try to play with what you really like ( and I guess that's going to be the best looking images, may be the other ones good as well ) , I do include oldies if I think they are good for a client to see (specially if it is or was a very remarkable piece - i.e a tv ad that even after 5 years people still remember it clearly and still enjoy it, not for me only, keep in mind it is not what you like, but what the clients may really like and are looking for when coming down to chose someone for a project. That's my tought only.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Oscar

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio