#1 Timothy Riese

Timothy Riese
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Other
  • Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hey everyone. I have a reel posted online. Mostly SD/HD narrative and industrial style projects. I'm a young DP/Operator and am looking for any constructive criticism.

Thanks!
Tim Riese

Go To: www.timriese.com to Watch!

Edited by Timothy Riese, 22 August 2007 - 01:07 PM.

#2 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:12 PM

Just a taste thing but I think you need to shave a few seconds off the first shot so that the shot becomes more dynamic - the crane move is really nice but the static beginning is abit slow. IMHO I would suggest that you shave off seconds everywhere where you can make reel feel snappier...like Isay it's a taste thing.

Also to be honest, I am not very keen on your music. Please take this the right way but it keeps reminding me of 'Riverdance'...I keep expecting Celtic dancers to appear on the scene :) Sorry!

#3 Tom Banks

Tom Banks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

I thought the text was a bit distracting. But there are many strong shots in there. I would cut the narrative section shorter by eliminating some of the shots that don't hold up. It starts out with some very strong shots, but somewhere in the middle there are a few shots that don't need to be in there.

#4 Timothy Riese

Timothy Riese
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Other
  • Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:13 PM

Also to be honest, I am not very keen on your music. Please take this the right way but it keeps reminding me of 'Riverdance'...I keep expecting Celtic dancers to appear on the scene :) Sorry!

You are not the only one to mention the music. Everyone seems to think Celtic music is only Riverdance! That's a band called Afro Celt Sound System and somebody was playing it while we wrapped a shoot location awhile back and I really dug it. I used it primarily because it's different than your normal demo reel bg music and felt it may make people remember the reel.

#5 Timothy Riese

Timothy Riese
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Other
  • Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I felt like I needed to add the text so people would now I have HD experience. For the next reel I'll eliminate that though since everything will be mostly in HD anyways! I'll take a look at some of the shots in the middle. When I cut this thing about 6 months ago I had just finished a feature and perhaps put too much of that one in the edit.

#6 Adam Dautry

Adam Dautry

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:29 PM

I agree with the text being distracting

Abel Cine

Visual Products