7 replies to this topic

#1 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Producer

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:00 AM

smallformat 4/2007 will be shipped in two weeks.

Posted Image

Here are the topics:

clapper A SMART BET? Jürgen Lossau is sure about it: chemical film will most likely be around long after videotape ceases production

viewer ONE LAST ROMANTIC GIFT Today smallformat is stooping to poach from the dubious undergrowth of the tabloid press. We caught British model Kate Moss holding a Super 8 camera ? and actually filming. How could things reach this point?

viewer NEWS Cinevia is back and TV spot producers from Australia prefer Super 8 instead of 35mm

viewer STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL 2007 French author Thierry Bonnaud visited Cambridge in June to take part in a new Midsummer Super 8 event

super 8 REACHING FOR THE STARS How do astronomy and Super 8 go together? Andreas Berger has the answer

interview WHAT?S GOING ON IN BURBANK? Anne Goltz visited pro8mm

portrait SALVAGING MEMORIES James Grahame chatted with the founder of Film Rescue International

screening FIXING THE ELMO GS1200?S FATAL FLAW Italian author Ugo Grassi knows how to do it

screening OUT OF THE BOX (7) British-German joint venture: John Clancy, Keith Wilton and Andreas Eggeling with a final look at three more companies from the UK: Powell Films, PM Films and Techno Films

screening A LADY WITHOUT EQUAL Hans-Lothar Wisskirchen unveils the Nordmende CCS film recorder

movie school SUPER 8 IS SUPER! -part 8- Dr. Carl-Hellmut Hoefer?s basic course for beginners and fans, this time: camera mechanics

movie school A KISS WITHOUT A SMACK IS LIKE A SHOT WITHOUT A BANG Arnold H. Müller gives advice for the post production of film sound

the old babies BEHIND THE GREAT WALL Our Turkish author Erkan Umut found many interesting 16mm and 35mm cameras in China

power pack FILMING IS FUN Still frames of different film stocks

power pack IT?S ALL IN THE FRAME American Nestor Rodriguez, senior principal scientist for the Kodak Entertainment Imaging division, discusses the resolution of Super 16 and 35mm film

interview SILENCE IS GOLDEN British author Giles Perkins about a comedy on Super 8

16mm THE LITTLE QUEENS Legends and truths of the Bolex 16mm line ? collected by Dr. Carl-Hellmut Hoefer

forum LETTERS TO THE EDITOR A reader with his own film test

#2 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:10 PM

Sounds good, can't wait!

#3 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Producer

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:21 PM

Thanks Douglas,

we urgently search for more subsribers to secure the future of our magazine. Any ideas are highly appreciated and welcome.

Juergen
www.smallformat.de

#4 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:48 PM

smallformat 4/2007 will be shipped in two weeks.

In two weeks time?!? :blink:

I already read all the major articles you feature above via download one week ago!

we urgently search for more subsribers to secure the future of our magazine. Any ideas are highly appreciated and welcome.

Jürgen - speaking as a business consultant here - maybe you should fundamentally reconsider your distribution strategy and overall business plan (and change those responsible for proofreading German-2-English texts: 'objective' is still not a 'lens')? Feel free to drop me a line.

#5 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Producer

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:25 AM

change those responsible for proofreading German-2-English texts: 'objective' is still not a 'lens')

Thanks for your hints. Our proofreader is from Canada and he is an expert in cine topics. He refers to:

http://en.wikipedia....otographic_lens

and he says: From an absolutely strict definition, in English an objective is the front lens element. The term is sometimes used to refer to a cine camera lens, probably because of German technicians and manufacturers in the cine industry (Arri, etc.).

#6 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for your hints.

You are always welcome, Jürgen.

Our proofreader is from Canada and he is an expert in cine topics. He refers to:

http://en.wikipedia....otographic_lens

and he says: From an absolutely strict definition, in English an objective is the front lens element. The term is sometimes used to refer to a cine camera lens, probably because of German technicians and manufacturers in the cine industry (Arri, etc.).

Ahh, Wikipedia: the site where people nowadays can even write and post an entry about themselves to imply encyclopedic significance of their own persona B) .

Thanks, Jürgen, for agreeing with me that "'objective' is still not a 'lens'".

Reading your post, I agree with you that the biggest problem in the contextual application of strictly defined words (esp. termini technici) in texts that necessitate accuracy is - unfortunately - consistency. And in that respect, the transfer of the native convolution and complexity of the German grammar into the much more organic, fluent and liberal language that is English, often leads unvoluntarily to terminological inconsistencies based on cultural discrepanies. And its those otherwise avoidable things that "makes you wanna read a paragraph twice to get it proper". The signature German-2-English texts by Carl-Hellmuth Hoefer would mostly benefit from a translationary approach adjusted to the above: lately, terms like objective, lens, objective lens, front lens and camera objective went a bit "wild" in even the same sentence. After all, it's those adjustments that makes language a living organic thing (something the German watchdogs at the Duden might never comprehend, but what the folks here from the OED in Oxford "like totally get") :P .

After all, when we filmmakers, cinematographers or DoPs use film rhetorics to communicate what we want to say, we practice those adjustments with every shoot.

( best exemplification of how not to write or talk in English: my paragraphs above ;) )

Jürgen, I hope "Smallformat"'s increasing struggle to survive will be succesful. Its exctinction would be a shame. Without it, only ARRInews would remain as a DE pub...
Warm regards, -Michael

Edited by Michael Lehnert, 28 September 2007 - 10:24 AM.

#7 James Grahame

James Grahame
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Canada

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

Reading your post, I agree with you that the biggest problem in the contextual application of strictly defined words (esp. termini technici) in texts that necessitate accuracy is - unfortunately - consistency. And in that respect, the transfer of the native convolution and complexity of the German grammar into the much more organic, fluent and liberal language that is English, often leads unvoluntarily to terminological inconsistencies based on cultural discrepanies. And its those otherwise avoidable things that "makes you wanna read a paragraph twice to get it proper".

Michael - I'll do my best to avoid any permutation of 'objective lens' between the covers of smallformat from now on, unless we're doing a piece on microscopy. I agree that consistency is important, too. Translating a technical publication is ridiculously challenging because one often treads a fine line between making the original author sound overly pedantic or dramatically rewriting the text to Anglicize it.

Cheers, James

#8 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:06 PM

Hello James,

a pleasure being in contact with you! I highly appreciate you taking the time.

I can fully understand where you are coming from as I have a multilingual background myself, and have to author in various languages as part of my works (BTW, I am not at all a job competitor to you :), just to declare that). With German not being the easiest language to deal with, I can fully see your problems, esp. in respect of the "pedantics" of some authors' writing styles.
My point is that in those cases, easing the straightjacket of translation a bit by including a more Anglicized text could ease the resulting consistency problems the German composita and grammar bring along. It might also make some texts an easier read, which might broaden the audience appeal. And that is what Smallformat seems in desperate need to be in order to survive.

Again, thanks for revisiting this thread, James, feel free to contact me in the future.

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

The Slider

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Willys Widgets