#1 Scott Bryant

Scott Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Other
  • Nevada

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

I'm recording sound for film on minidv and i'm getting alot of hisssing b/c i basically have to turn the gain up on the master sound track in final cut to hear the sound very well. This is really a dumb question b/c i think i know the answer. I'm recording with a microphone that is not a condensor mic, so no phantom power or anything. Is this my main problem? would getting a condensor mic increase my levels so i don't have to crank up the gain?

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:50 PM

I'm recording sound for film on minidv and i'm getting alot of hisssing b/c i basically have to turn the gain up on the master sound track in final cut to hear the sound very well. This is really a dumb question b/c i think i know the answer. I'm recording with a microphone that is not a condensor mic, so no phantom power or anything. Is this my main problem? would getting a condensor mic increase my levels so i don't have to crank up the gain?

What make and model mike? It sounds like your mike isn't putting out anywhere near enough signal.

#3 Scott Bryant

Scott Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Other
  • Nevada

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:16 AM

Honestly i'm not sure right now, i don't have it here with me. I just know its a dynamic mic. i've got an xlr converter to 1/8in jack going into the video camera. I'll check on the mic and respond back. I guess the better question probably is: is there anything i can get for under 100 bucks that's worth anything? If not whats the next step up?

By the way its nice to see another oklahoman here, i'm just 50 min north of you in stillwater. If you ever have a shoot and wouldn't mind me tagging along on the set, i'd like to come by sometime. I like to see how other people run things. What kind of stuff do you usually shoot?

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Visual Products

Tai Audio

The Slider

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera