#1 J. Scott Portingale

J. Scott Portingale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Director
  • Canada

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:37 PM

I am shooting my next film with a mixture of super 16mm film and Hd animation in 16:9. Are they the same in aspect ratio or will I have to crop one or the other in post? If so which medium should I crop?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

I am shooting my next film with a mixture of super 16mm film and Hd animation in 16:9. Are they the same in aspect ratio or will I have to crop one or the other in post? If so which medium should I crop?

The Super-16 full aperture gate is around 1.68 : 1. It is common to transfer this to full-frame 16x9 video, which is 1.78 : 1, thus trimming a little off of the top & bottom of the negative.

#3 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

Use a 16:9 groundglass in your S16 camera and make certain to shoot a frame leader at the very beginning of your first roll of film (before grayscales and action). The frame leader is a way to show the telecine operator what your framing lines were during the shoot. Use a piece of postercard and place it on a wall at your camera height. Lock off the camera with zero degrees of tilt on a tripod. Use a 25mm lens for S16 and move the camera until it's facing the poster dead on and the poster fills the field of view. You can use black gaffer tape "arrows" to point to the frame corners and edge midpoints. Write the film title, date, lens, format, and ratio somewhere in the inside. Shoot maybe ten seconds worth to be safe.

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

The Slider

CineTape

Wooden Camera