#1 Rai Pandudita

Rai Pandudita

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:16 AM

hi. does anyone know the technique on how to get the camera to continuously move through a window? here's an example from antonioni's the passenger:
thank you.

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:52 AM

Well firstly, it isn't a window ...

Pretty easy really, just production design, the bars are removed as the camera gets near them - I'm pretty sure they even start moving whilst still in shot ... You'll notice the speed of the track stops when the camera gets close then the bars start moving apart (in stops and starts) giving the visual affect of them getting closer, but its only the distance between them that is changing - once they are clear its does a zoom then pan then the track starts moving again (maybe the bars were still in the way of the rest of the camera/crew for a short while) ...

Through a window can be done in two passes - first shoot a pass right up to the window then stop, remove window and then do another pass going right through making sure the speed and orientation is similar around the point of the window, depending on the speed you only need to film from a few feet or so from the window ... You now have two passes that you can do a dissolve from the first to the second in edit ... Classic effect stuff, I would have been pretty chuffed to be the first person to do this :)

Edited by Nick Mulder, 27 August 2007 - 03:57 AM.

#3 Frederico Dichiara

Frederico Dichiara
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

hi. does anyone know the technique on how to get the camera to continuously move through a window? here's an example from antonioni's the passenger:
thank you.

I shot a similar clip in one of my old movies through using a polarizing filter (removing reflections) and just zooming straight through the window (If you're shooting sound the sound will have to be on the inside.
I found that the smoothness was great!

Frederico

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:29 PM

Speaking of moving through windows....this is a great commercial that does just that.
Sure commercial

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Speaking of moving through windows....this is a great commercial that does just that.
Sure commercial

Nicely done. Reminds me of that Michel Gondry Kylie Minogue video.

Looks like that Sure spot used some CGI for the building exterior, and the Gondry clip of course used very careful compositing. Not that that makes it "easy!"

#6 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:05 PM

Looks like that Sure spot used some CGI for the building exterior,

Actually, I don't think so. I know they flew a wall out, but I don't remember hearing anything about effects. Of course, they certainly could have.

#7 Giancarlo Bianchi

Giancarlo Bianchi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:46 PM

thank you.

I remember reading the book Antonioni wrote with experiences of his movies, and this shot was actually the most expensive of the movie. They use a dolly till they get to the bars, the bars where pulled out, then the camera was taken out of the dolly and put onto a "flying harness" remember Antonioni quoting that the day before the shooting they were very nervous cuz it was windy. So when the camera starts pulling back from outside, the AC`s hides the tracks and the dolly behind the wall. the Grips, puts the bars. And well, This shot is quite a statement of how important and unnotisable can be human coordination. I can recall the AC was Canadian (if this helps anyone). Anayway, other problem they have was with the mags, cuz if they used 600ft, mag, the harness became unstable, and if they used 300ft mags they shot was cut in half... So they went for "unestability".

#8 Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan

Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Director
  • Mexico DF

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:04 PM

i think this link will be usefull for yoy.
bye!
GT

LINK: http://www.videocopi...ials.html?id=86

#9 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles and Las Vegas

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:27 AM

Looks like that Sure spot used some CGI for the building exterior, and the Gondry clip of course used very careful compositing. Not that that makes it "easy!"

Hi Michael,

Will Arnot was the operator on the Sure commercial and I don't think there was any CGI to it. It was all one-take and I think they spent something like a month building the set, a week in rehearsal and a full day shooting it. I may be slightly off but that was the general idea. Also Will used the AR stabilizer not a traditional sled.

Do a search on the Steadicam Forum for Will's posts and I think there is a link in there to the BTS narrative and stills.

Robert Starling, SOC
Steadicam Owner / Operator

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape