#1 Jaap Geurts van Kessel

Jaap Geurts van Kessel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

Hi! First off, I'm new with film. I have always shot on video but now I want to try film. Super8 was the obvious choice. I don't have any hands on experience with analog photography or filming but I've read a lot of theory so I'm pretty familiar with the basics.

I recently bought a Canon 1014 Auto-Zoom but since I don't have a manual I'm having a bit of trouble with some of the controls.

Posted Image

The control at the left red arrow is for the type of transition you want in your film. I slided it to the left, but how do you get it back to the right? The button seems to made in a way so that you can only slide it to the left, not the right.

Then the silver button at the right red arrow. I pushed it in, but there seems to be no way to return it to the original position. And I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that, since I pushed that button, the variable shutter control is working very different than originally. Now, if I turn the control from zero to close, it's clicking all the time, and I can only turn the control back to zero if I push in the 'fade-in' button. I think this is because it's set to a 'crossover' transition. But I don't know how to change this.

So basically my question is:
How do I get these two switches back to their original position?

Of if anyone knows where to find a manual for my camera (not the xls) that would be a great help to.

Thanks.

#2 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

Have you tried running the camera? Things should snap back into place after running it for about 10-15 seconds.

#3 Jaap Geurts van Kessel

Jaap Geurts van Kessel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:18 AM

Have you tried running the camera? Things should snap back into place after running it for about 10-15 seconds.

Thanks for your reply. I don't have film yet so I was just pushing buttons without rolling the camera :rolleyes:

The buttons have snapped back after running the camera for a few seconds!

But does anyone know what the function of the silver button is?

#4 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:44 AM

It's the lap dissolve cancellation button.

#5 Mitch Perkins

Mitch Perkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for your reply. I don't have film yet so I was just pushing buttons without rolling the camera :rolleyes:

The buttons have snapped back after running the camera for a few seconds!

A friendly recommendation to steer clear of those controls - they have been known to jam permanently, (camera is 25+ years old and newer carts currently suffer from increased film jamming), and you can do more flexible dissolves in post.

Mitch

#6 Bjarne Eldhuset

Bjarne Eldhuset
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi, one of my website visitors e-mailed me the 1014 AutoZoom Electronic manual. I have just uploaded it to the manuals section of my website www.super8.no/manuals.html

#7 Jaap Geurts van Kessel

Jaap Geurts van Kessel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:02 AM

Wow, great work Bjarne! I already found your site two weeks back, but then the manual wasn't uploaded yet. Great site!

@Anthony, thank you for your help!

@Mitch, thanks for the recommendation. I was already planning to just shoot all the film just the way it is and then add al the transistions in post. I was just getting aquinted with the camera :) Sure glad it didn't permenently jam though. I won't touch those buttons again!

Btw, great to see there still is such a commited super-8 community!

#8 Mendes Nabil

Mendes Nabil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Director
  • Paris

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:14 AM

Hi guys, almost 10 years later i have the exact same problem with the exact same camera, the only difference is that even after running the camera (with or without film) the button stays in the blue position.. What can i do about that? I shoot in two days..

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

CineTape

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Abel Cine