#1 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:54 AM

I recently shot some performance footage for a singer friend of mine. It was in an empty auditorium, so I was free to make the lighting as romantic and handsome as I wanted. Which I took full advantage of.

However, my only choice of camera for the day was the PD-150. I'm very happy with what I shot, but I think just the edges and detail might be a little too crisp and harsh.

I'll be editing in FCP, so I was just curious if there were any filters or other methods of going about altering the footage to remove that harsh DV feel. I played with some light gaussian blur, and that got me close to what I'm going for, but not quite.

Not necessarily going for the coveted "film look". Just fishing for things that other PD-150 shooters might have done.

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:24 PM

I recently shot some performance footage for a singer friend of mine. It was in an empty auditorium, so I was free to make the lighting as romantic and handsome as I wanted. Which I took full advantage of.

However, my only choice of camera for the day was the PD-150. I'm very happy with what I shot, but I think just the edges and detail might be a little too crisp and harsh.

I'll be editing in FCP, so I was just curious if there were any filters or other methods of going about altering the footage to remove that harsh DV feel. I played with some light gaussian blur, and that got me close to what I'm going for, but not quite.

Not necessarily going for the coveted "film look". Just fishing for things that other PD-150 shooters might have done.

One thign I have done in the past with DVCam footage is to overlay a copy of the footage over itself, in sync. Then apply a small gaussian blur to the top clip (a couple pixels should be fine). Then you can dial in the opacity of the top clip to get the amount of softness you want.

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:45 PM

Interesting, I'll definitely give it a shot! thanks :)

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

Interesting, I'll definitely give it a shot! thanks :)

No problem. It's a favorite treatment of mine for video. It softens subtly (or more, if you want that look) and can easily look like you did nothing at all, which is generally the goal.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:15 PM

Is that doing it for you?

#6 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

Hey Chris, I haven't worked the footage too much yet. Been editing together the music we recorded for it first, so I can cut to it.

I'll let'cha know :)

#7 Shawn Mielke

Shawn Mielke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • Santa Rosa, Ca (1 hour north of SF)

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

In the future, I would begin by shooting wide open and dialing in-camera sharpening down as far as can be. Utilizing a longer focal length may further enhance this, depending on the shot/subject.

#8 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:09 AM

In the future, I would begin by shooting wide open and dialing in-camera sharpening down as far as can be. Utilizing a longer focal length may further enhance this, depending on the shot/subject.

I shot most of it at a longer focal length, maybe just 2 wide shots. Don't know if I'd want to mess with the sharpness though, I'd rather go with diffusion filters in the future. I just didn't happen to have any at the time. Black Diffusion/FX filter would have been perfect, but oh well.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Technodolly