#1 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

I hadn't seen this film in 20 years, but the images always stuck in my mind. Especially the scenes with the mice and the caribou stampede. 20 years later, it arrived from Netflix and I enjoyed it just as much as when I was a wee lad.

I understand it was basically Narita's first big DP job (besides a Neil Young film), and what he was able to capture was nothing but gorgeous and magical. Of course, shooting in Alaska probably makes that a little easier to achieve ;)

#2 Tim Partridge

Tim Partridge
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Not to unddermine Mr. Narita's abilities (his work is always great), but in NEVER CRY WOLF's case it didn't hurt that Carroll Ballard was the director. Ballard was a very accomplished cinematographer in his own right, especially when it came to outdoor natural vistas.

A great collaboration.

#3 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:45 PM

I hadn't seen this film in 20 years, but the images always stuck in my mind. Especially the scenes with the mice and the caribou stampede. 20 years later, it arrived from Netflix and I enjoyed it just as much as when I was a wee lad.

I understand it was basically Narita's first big DP job (besides a Neil Young film), and what he was able to capture was nothing but gorgeous and magical. Of course, shooting in Alaska probably makes that a little easier to achieve ;)

I saw in a theater. Great film!

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

...it didn't hurt that Carroll Ballard was the director. Ballard was a very accomplished cinematographer in his own right, especially when it came to outdoor natural vistas.

A great collaboration.

Indeed. It's definitely a cinematographer's film. I have a hunch that all the Narration was added by Disney a little after the fact (The narration writers have their own credits in the beginning of the film even!). I'm just glad they didn't tarnish some of the film's more tender moments with hit.

Abel Cine

Technodolly

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport