Peter Russ

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Other
  • Australia

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:55 PM

Any first hand feedback on this revolutionary camera system......?

#2 Matthew Rogers

Matthew Rogers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:04 PM

Hummm....I'm confused...they say they are shipping on Augest 31st, and today is the 27th...so why are you asking if anyone has feedback yet on it?! If you started this thread on the 31st, that would have been reasonable...

Matthew

#3 jan von krogh

jan von krogh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Producer

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:10 PM

everyone knows that the whloe project is fraud
*irony off*

#4 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

From what I've seen firsthand so far, I'm impressed and do wish I was in the first round of deliveries.

#5 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:52 PM

www.red.com has a list of quotes down the right-hand side of the page, all quotes from those who have used the camera.

Other than those, there is no other first-hand feed back... yet.

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:02 AM

Other than those, there is no other first-hand feed back... yet.

Hi,

So it would seem wise to close the thread!

Stephen

EDIT Well it's Friday 31st & I promised to reopen this thread.

#7 Carl Brighton

Carl Brighton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:19 AM

Hi,

So it would seem wise to close the thread!

Stephen

EDIT Well it's Friday 31st & I promised to reopen this thread.

Do any of the first 25 recipients actually post here? That's what I've found odd: there hasn't been a single post on REDuser from anybody who has been contacted by RED to arrange delivery of their camera. So who are these people?

(Don't answer if you don't actually know. I'm sure I've got more imagination than most of you put together, so I can make my own wild guesses).

Personally I wouldn't be too happy taking delivery of something that's still being worked on at 1AM on the day of delivery, unless it was a pizza or something :lol:

Mmmmm...Pizza.....

(Apologies to anybody I didn't intend to offend :P )

#8 Evan Owen

Evan Owen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

Do any of the first 25 recipients actually post here? That's what I've found odd: there hasn't been a single post on REDuser from anybody who has been contacted by RED to arrange delivery of their camera. So who are these people? ...

Well, Mark Pederson from OffHollywood is picking up his two cameras in about an hour.

From reduser.net this morning:

Jim - a whole lot of us want to THANK YOU for letting us ride along on your DREAM so we can chase our own ...

You are an inspiration. Period.

See you in 1.5 hours -

BRAVO!!!

As for those who can't pickup in person, I'm not sure. I'm sure shipping is being arranged.

Edited by Evan Owen, 31 August 2007 - 10:59 AM.

#9 Ruairi Robinson

Ruairi Robinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

I'm sure I've got more imagination than most of you put together, so I can make my own wild guesses

Carl, what do you do for a living? I notice you are not listed on imdb.

#10 Carl Brighton

Carl Brighton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

As for those who can't pickup in person, I'm not sure. I'm sure shipping is being arranged.

(Don't answer if you don't actually know. I'm sure I've got more imagination than most of you put together, so I can make my own wild guesses).

#11 Daniel Gourley

Daniel Gourley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:34 PM

Yes, Carl. What do you do that justifies any response on this thread...Example of work or portfolio?

No... Thought so.

#12 Carl Brighton

Carl Brighton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

Carl, what do you do for a living? I notice you are not listed on imdb.

I haven't put my name forward for one thing.
Why, do you think I need to?
If you think your chances of gaining useful employment are going to be enhanced by putting your name on there (UNLESS you've actually been responsible for making something people are going to think worth paying money to see), well that just points to your own level of experience.

Of the people I work with regularly, I don't think any one of them would have their name on IMDB. It's just more "Monkey see, Monkey do."

It's all to do with: "Do want to MAKE MOVIES, or do you just want people to know you're a MOVIE MAKER"?

#13 Carl Brighton

Carl Brighton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:02 PM

Yes, Carl. What do you do that justifies any response on this thread...Example of work or portfolio?

No... Thought so.

Well again, this is exactly the sort of statement you'd expect from someone who doesn't really understand what is actually involved in making a Movie, TV program or even a commercial, or how the sometimes enormous collection of personnel required gets assembled. (Hint: The phone rings every now and then and somebody says: "Are you available on.... . We're shooting a ..."). You don't actually get work by scanning the "Help Wanted" ads in the local paper.

Pure REDuser: Aided and abetted by the speculations that like-minded amateurs have similarly pulled out of their own arses, they write their own "How It All Works" manual in their head, and anybody who doesn't conform to the orthodoxy contained therein must be an imposter or incompetent.

The percentage of people who actually make a living out of this business and who post on this forum is pitifully small. They may not like my attitude, but they rarely complain that I don't know what I'm talking about.

On the other hand, I've seen absolute garbage spoken by well known and well-respected producers and directors, who are commenting outside their area of expertise. But not usually from Directors of Photography....

Here's the bottom line: If I had a RED, I would almost certainly be able to make money with it (well assuming it works even half as well as the hype suggests). Most of the REDuser fanboys wouldn't be able to make money with it even if you could do all the editing and special effects on-board and churn out a 4K release neg from a $500 bolt-on minilab!

Again, my apologies to all those those it was not my intention to offend,
Carl

#14 Daniel Gourley

Daniel Gourley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

Actually, Carl, I have been in the production industry for about 10 years now as a Director and DP. I have work to show for this. You only have accusations and ways of avoiding questions as to your qualifications.

#15 Ruairi Robinson

Ruairi Robinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

I haven't put my name forward for one thing.
Why, do you think I need to?

Of the people I work with regularly, I don't think any one of them would have their name on IMDB. It's just more "Monkey see, Monkey do."

It's all to do with: "Do want to MAKE MOVIES, or do you just want people to know you're a MOVIE MAKER"?

Hmm. Getting defensive. Ok. It's not a matter of self-publicity. If you do anything thats got distribution, or been broadcast on tv, or had a cinema release, you don't HAVE to submit your name to IMDB. Other people will...

If you think your chances of gaining useful employment are going to be enhanced by putting your name on there (UNLESS you've actually been responsible for making something people are going to think worth paying money to see), well that just points to your own level of experience.

...or you can question my experience if you prefer, and make up stuff I never said to argue against...

R.

#16 Carl Brighton

Carl Brighton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

Please yourself. I didn't give myself the "advanced" classification that appears under my name, so I guess the people who run this forum don't know sh!t either :lol:

#17 Michael Zasadzinski

Michael Zasadzinski

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:50 PM

Please yourself. I didn't give myself the "advanced" classification that appears under my name, so I guess the people who run this forum don't know sh!t either :lol:

I think that's automatically generated by postcount?

#18 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:31 PM

I enjoy scanning these forums for useful information as well as being able to offer input of my own whenever I'm able. It's unfortunate that most of the RED threads I've browsed through have very little to do with the camera itself.

For that reason I'll offer this: I've seen the camera in person. I've seen what it can do. I've seen the output, as well, as a film out. My opinion isn't based on third person accounts or speculation. With that in mind, the RED is real, it can do what Jim and Co. claim and I wouldn't suggest to anyone that the technology is questionable at this point. As with any innovation, there are bound to be hiccups and things to tweak as time goes on. That's certainly not a reason to condemn anyone brave enough to attempt something new. Even if delivery had to be delayed for a day or a month, it doesn't mean that it doesn't work. A delay would just mean they want to deliver the very best they are able to at this point in time.

In any case, from what I've personally seen in the field, the camera takes great pictures and I look forward to seeing the work that is generated by skilled cameramen with it. :)

#19 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:48 PM

The advanced title has nothing to do with what the people who run the forum think of your knowledge, just based on post count; and to be honest it seems your post count has been generated through a bunch of RED arguments, not much productive.

#20 Gary McClurg

Gary McClurg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Producer

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:57 PM

I enjoy scanning these forums for useful information as well as being able to offer input of my own whenever I'm able. It's unfortunate that most of the RED threads I've browsed through have very little to do with the camera itself.

I think that there is some truth to that...

I'm not pro Red or non Red... again just hated the marketing which for some it worked and for a lot of other people it turned them off... and I hated the fact if you asked a tough questions you got attacked... no I just want to make sure something worked... just like when you send in your ac's to prep the camera for your shoot... that way when you start the shoot... you'll know that everything works...

And in the end it really became a soap opera... where everyone wanted to see what happens next...

But now that the camera has been released... now its time for the camera to be put to the test... that will determine if it will take over the market... which I don't think it will... who knows... I like the idea of it being something good... it just might bring prices down...

But in the end... it'll be just another tool in the toolbox for the craftsman to use...

Tai Audio

CineLab

The Slider

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc