#1 william mintz

william mintz

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:31 PM

I'm thinking about buying an Auricon pro-600 camera...but I want some information on my choice of lenses that have a reflex side finder and can cover super-16?? Can anyone help me

http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...A:IT&ih=006 this is one of the ones i was looking at....also is the lens that camera comes with any good?

#2 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

Hi there-

Auricons are funny old cameras, and as you probably already know, their guts are the same as the CP-16. The Pan Cinor lens is poop, and your other lens choices are severely limited. The Angenieux 17-68 with a finder might be slightly better, if the finder doesn't bump into the camera. It may partly cover S16, but I don't know. Good luck trying to find extra mags!

But if you want to cut an Andy Warhol-ish figure while shooting, go for the auricon. :)

#3 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:23 AM

$600 sounds like a lotta money for a camera like that. I bought a "chop top" Auricon cinevoice a few years back for about $150, and it came with a Nagra 3 in the deal. The 600's are reputed to be quite heavy. That Pan Cinor lens is one of the really early ones, I used to have one like that and wasn't crazy about it. I'd pass and wait for a newer (and lighter) camera or a better price.

Edited by Robert Hughes, 28 August 2007 - 10:24 AM.

#4 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:30 AM

$600 sounds like a lotta money for a camera like that. I bought a "chop top" Auricon cinevoice a few years back for about $150, and it came with a Nagra 3 in the deal.

wow, $600! :blink:

I also had a "chop top" a long time ago and traded it for a baloney sandwich or something...

#5 Charlie Peich

Charlie Peich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:55 AM

William,
Check out this Yahoo group Auricon Optical Sound Users Group .

There's a lot of pictures, sales brouchures showing the different configurations, and historical info.

I've shot hours of film with the Pro-600 and it was my favorite Auricon model (I was very, very young). The footage of that Pro-600 was rock steady. The steadiness was compareable to footage that I shot with an Arri S (I used to check frame line steadiness on the telecine). We had other Auricons (converted Cine Voice's) that were not quite that steady; it just depends on the individual camera. The Pro-600 in it's prime was exteamly quiet. Yes, very heavy, no hand holding, it kept you in shape when moving around! But, production style was different back then, but I didn't realize that then because I was so young.

Charlie

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Technodolly

CineLab