5 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Curtin

Kevin Curtin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

Hey guys, I had a quick question for all you. I was recently reading up on Eyes Wide Shut after watching the film again for some inspiration (I'm shooting a film coming up and I wanted to watch the scene when they go to Sydney Pollack's party) about how to use practicals to light a 'party' scene. Anyways, I read that Kubrick and his DP (blanking on the name) pushed the film in order to make the lighting look more natural. I know pushing it makes it more grainy and contrasty, but does that in turn make it more natural? Is that simply all it means?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

Hey guys, I had a quick question for all you. I was recently reading up on Eyes Wide Shut after watching the film again for some inspiration (I'm shooting a film coming up and I wanted to watch the scene when they go to Sydney Pollack's party) about how to use practicals to light a 'party' scene. Anyways, I read that Kubrick and his DP (blanking on the name) pushed the film in order to make the lighting look more natural. I know pushing it makes it more grainy and contrasty, but does that in turn make it more natural? Is that simply all it means?

Here is my guess, only a guess as to why they might do it.

Perhaps the push was done for the contrast more than anything else. There were a LOT of practicals and long takes requiring 360-degree views. If left alone, the film might have been on the flat side. A push would give them a bit more contrast to make the scene look a bit richer with more fall-off to the light.

#3 Xavier Plaza

Xavier Plaza
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Guayaquil - Ecuador

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:14 PM

Anyways, I read that Kubrick and his DP (blanking on the name) pushed the film in order to make the lighting look more natural.

The Dp was Larry Smith and perhaps this help

http://www.theasc.co...sword/index.htm

Xavier Plaza

#4 Kevin Curtin

Kevin Curtin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:38 PM

The Dp was Larry Smith and perhaps this help

http://www.theasc.co...sword/index.htm

Xavier Plaza

That's a great read, thank you very much. Answers a couple of other questions I had as well.

#5 Simon Miya

Simon Miya
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, OR

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:40 PM

The push processing was used to make it possible to shoot with less light. That is what made it more natural.

#6 Kevin Curtin

Kevin Curtin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:10 AM

The push processing was used to make it possible to shoot with less light. That is what made it more natural.

This was my original thought since it is the most logic answer, but thought I'd try and look a little more. Thanks.

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

CineLab

The Slider

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Opal