1 reply to this topic

#1 Dan Riordan

Dan Riordan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:56 PM

Hi, I just bought a bolex H16 supreme in mint condition. It's obviously a non-reflex. I'm looking to shoot a short film with it sometime in november. I purchased a rack-over to compensate for parallax.

I'd like to know with non-reflex camera what is the most accurate way to frame a shot?

I know the rackover was designed for macro shots but i'm okay with using the rackover for every shot if it means that the shot i see is the shot i get. Is it accurate with all shots? The camera also has an octameter.

Also is the rackover accurate in all positions if i were to mount it on a tripod? Not sure if different angles effect the shot. I wouldn't think it would.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Dan Riordan, 31 August 2007 - 04:59 PM.

#2 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:19 AM

The rackover's way too complicated to use all the time. You should get good enough results with the Octameter. Experiment with a roll or two to see how close-ups work out.

If you are really worried, get the Bolex 'critical focuser.' It's not very expensive. This slips on top of the camera and actually peers through the finder. Unless the path is extremely dirty (possible), you should be able to get a bright enough image to double-check camera placement. Parallax might still be present but not as bad-- unless you're doing a lot of close-ups, don't worry about it.

Many, many good films were made with these cameras and with great success. I think the Bolex reflex models are way overrated because the viewfinders are not the greatest even at their best.

What lenses do you have?

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Opal

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks