#1 Gilbert fachkha

Gilbert fachkha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • canada

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:19 AM

hello , i am going to shoot a film in 35mm and i want to know some details about Filming in a Supermarket , what is the film i can use and what is corretion of light and colours i have to do specially its all about fluoressent light in general.
Thank you

#2 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:14 AM

depending on the fixtures, you could put daylight balanced kino bulbs in the fluoro's. shoot whatever daylight film floats your boat.

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:40 AM

The easy way is to balance your movie lights to the color temperature of the practical lights in the supermarket. Usually supermarkets have some kind of fluorescent lighting, often cool white (4300K) or warm white (3000), with the attendant green spike in the spectrum. Take a digital still camera to the location and shoot stills at different white balances to estimate the color temperature.

You can use either daylight- or tungsten-balanced film, as long as you gel your movie lights to match the practicals (or put matching tubes in Kino's). Either way you'll need to color-time your film to look "normal" and remove the excess green from the fluorescents.

#4 Gilbert fachkha

Gilbert fachkha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • canada

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:39 AM

Thx For ur help .
:rolleyes:

#5 Josh Fritts

Josh Fritts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:03 AM

I recently did a 35mm shoot that took place in a large office with flourescents and large windows. Due to budget, I could not change out the tubes or gel them all (it was a 23000 square ft office). So, I shot everything with an FLB filter and matched the green spike in the flourescents with all the other light sources that effect the shot. All my kinos were loaded with Cool Whites, my HMI got Full Plus Green and the grips built Full Plus Green frames out 4x8 foam core to go into the windows that were seen in frame. With green spikes in everything, the FLB filter evened it out some and then I stripped more green out in Telecine (but left some, because that was part of the look).

I think this might be the same problem you will run into with flourescents praticales and daylight coming through the front of the store.

Here is a link to the spot:

http://geronimocreek...-JoshFritts.mov

Hopefully this helps,

josh

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

I did a short where we put some plus green and 1/4 CTB onto the film lights to match the store's lights. Then a magenta CC filter on the camera to remove the green and graded the blue out during the printing. It worked extremely well on a blow up to 35mm

#7 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

... my HMI got Full Plus Green and the grips built Full Plus Green frames out 4x8 foam core to go into the windows ...

I've done that. It's kind of a pain having to look at all that green, and it scares inexperienced producers and directors. ;-)

-- J.S.

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Opal

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine