5 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:15 AM

An interesting aside on following recent problems with phone ins on UK television, which has resulted in the viewers no longer believing what they see on television

http://entertainment...icle2368638.ece

Of course, this also introduces the debate on good story telling and use of the medium. Some documentary film makers have used the jump cut and black frames to show their interview/time cuts. How far can you go alone this road in a news programme, especially since many news stories have little visual content other than "wallpaper" shots?

#2 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:11 PM

I personally feel that banning 'noddies' may be an extreme reaction to the phone-in & royal edit scandals.
Simply because there were people caught out misusing their tools doesn't mean you ban the tools.

They are important tools, and should be used carefully. The issues that they should be looking at more closely instead have to do with bias & editorial 'spin'. These cause more harm than the use of noddies to edit the time frame.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:31 PM

I don't think it's a good idea. It's possible to misrepresent someone completely (or subtly) in an edit if you want to; banning one technique is not going to solve the problem.

Phil

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:48 AM

News should be no place for bullsh*t. It is the watchdog of govenrment and our most important weapon against corruption BUT I don't want to get political here, It upsets the management so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 03 September 2007 - 12:51 AM.

#5 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:53 PM

News should be no place for bullsh*t.

But you'll agree that simply banning an editing tool is not going to stop the BS.. In-fact its probably only going to breed more creative BSing.

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:03 AM

I agree it's a somewhat meaningless gesture BUT at lease it's a gesture. I have a great fear we're returning to the bad old days where William Randolph Herst has been replaced by Keith Rupert Murdoch cast in the role of the modern Charles Foster Kane and the new is "created' rather than reported to sell newspapers and serve the Nielsen's. We are FAST approaching, if not already arrived at, Paddy Chayefsky's premonition. this is our Networkian nightmare where ratings matter far more than content and news directors refuse to report the news because it might expose someone in power who will no doubt retaliate and might take a bite out of their insurance company. When like 5 people in the world own every newspaper, television network and radio station on Earth, who's left to protect our interests by telling us the truth, Where are the Edward R. Murrows, the Woodward and Bernstein's of THIS generation?

I actually believe there should be federal laws that require networks to have a news hour that is exempt from ratings and network and governmental coercion. The Bill of Rights protects the freedom of the press from governmental censorship but not from multinational cooperation interference. I think this ban is meant more to send a message than as censorship of artistic license, the message being the news is nothing to be played with, manipulated or fabricated at ANY level, It should be treated as sacred and news casters are the preists of that religion. I actually wish there where more stringent rules for integrity in hard news reporting here in the US because I feel it is our greatest defense against tyranny. At least your government is saying something about media manipulation of the public on some small level and I think THAT is important. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 04 September 2007 - 01:07 AM.

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc