9 replies to this topic

#1 James Burns

James Burns
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:42 PM

I'm a young film maker and i want to start building my portfolios with shorts. I was thinking about getting a 16mm film camera like the K-3 but it seems it's to hard to record sound with those noisey buggers. My budget is ubout $300 at most. I hate the look of Mini DV. What should i do!?

#2 Chris Durham

Chris Durham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

Resign yourself to MiniDV for the time being.

If your max budget is $300 that might get you a camera, but film isn't cheap. $300 isn't going to get you a great MiniDV cam either, but at least you won't break yourself making your shorts.

The other option is to go 8mm, which is a good option; but won't be incredibly cheap either.

I personally prefer the look and latitude of film, but as beginning filmmakers we have to embrace and be happy about the inexpensive options available to us today. With a consumer camera and software that comes with any computer we have a basic setup and editing suite. And there's a lot you can do to make MiniDV look good. Remember, it's what you shoot and how you shoot it that really matters - not what it's shot on. And if you can hone your skills to the point where you can make consumer DV look good then you've got something to build on.

#3 James Burns

James Burns
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:58 PM

I still might get a k-3. I'll try and muffle the sound the best i can.

Edited by James Burns, 02 September 2007 - 03:59 PM.

#4 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:37 PM

I'm a young filmaker myself. I'd go with Super 8mm, cameras can be a great deal cheaper, so then you can concentrate on other accessories. They're probably quieter, as well. Film is a good deal cheaper too.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

You won't muffle the sound on a K3. They sound remarkably like a blender.

To be honest, $300 isn't going to buy you anything very decent. Can you borrow something while you save up?

#6 James Burns

James Burns
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:39 PM

No. I can maybe sqweeze it to $500 but thats pushing it. This guy will sell me all this stuff for $300:

"I have a krag 3 16mm motion picture camera for sale.
given an overhaul by a professional film/video company in new york, it includes
filter kit with a variety of special effects filters. also has shoulder stock for ergonomic filming, and a variety of other accessories that came with the camera. it does come with seven rolls of motion picture daylight film. LET'S NEGOTIATE A PRICE! the arrangements for purchase will be person to person, giving the buyer a chance to see the camera up close and personal. moreover a demo of the camera will be given; it does have a manual. Buyer will receive a Filmmaker's Book Collection including the Filmmaker's Handbook-probably the single greatest source for beginning and intermediate filmmakers. I will also throw in a super 8 Film editor complete with a roll of Super 8 Film containing footage of animals living in the wild. A great value, including: A filter kit,unexposed kodak and fuji 16mm film, and the collection of Film production books.
I'm seling the camera and film accessories because I've decided to focus my time and creative energies on music, writing, and art."

Found it on Craigs list!

#7 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:17 PM

James,

You do understand that every 2:30 of 16mm film you shoot is going to cost you roughly $150 don't you? Super 8 is not much cheaper

Edited by AdamBray, 02 September 2007 - 11:18 PM.

#8 Pete Von Tews

Pete Von Tews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Concord CA USA

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:36 PM

Spectra 400' 16mm package

400' Package
400' 16mm Film (11 min)
Processing
Prep & Clean
1/2 hour RANK Transfer @ 24fps
Mini DV or Beta SP Tape
Cost: $385.50
Discount: $26.50
Final Cost: $359.00

90$ per roll, but still not cheap...

James,

You do understand that every 2:30 of 16mm film you shoot is going to cost you roughly $150 don't you? Super 8 is not much cheaper

#9 James Burns

James Burns
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

Well for now i'll stick with DV. Till i'm sure i can get the right results with a 16mm before i put the money in to it. :P

#10 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:26 PM

Come up with a good story first. Find some decent actors/performers to work with. Shoot said story (on MiniDV) outside to save on lighting. Edit, put on YouTube, let everybody know about it. Rinse, repeat.

If you're any good and willing to work at it you'll develop your network, and probably run into somebody with a 16mm camera to shoot a later project.

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

CineLab

Glidecam

Visual Products

Willys Widgets