#1 Jack Brandhorst

Jack Brandhorst
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

Hello,

Im a student @ SMC in Los Angeles and i am in serious need of an inexpensive ($50-100) spot meter. This is a requirment for one of my classes, as well as a must if I ever actually become a cinematographer. Just curious for any suggestions or anyone who may be unloading an old meter.

Thank u;
jack1305

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:34 PM

I'd watch this one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Interesting that it's a requirement. Does it HAVE to be a spot meter? Or is incident fine as well?

#3 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:02 AM

I'm afraid you may have a tough time getting a spot meter for fifty to a hundred dollars. That ebay auction sent by Jonathan is a good start, but don't be surprised if the price shoots up toward the end. Actually, I just bought an identical model spot meter not too long ago for $165.00. Even that was a steal, compared to where I've seen one of those go for elsewhere, like at KEH (upwards of $200).

And in my opinion, if there is one thing you don't want to scrimp on, it's a light meter. Suppose you get a cheap meter, and you use it on your production. You might get lucky, and your meter is more or less accurate. But what if it isn't and all the footage you shot comes back from the lab under or overexposed? What then? You will discover that the small amount you saved on the meter will quickly disappear as you pay for all the added costs of reshooting your footage. What's worse, you're stuck with a light meter that at BEST will need servicing, and at WORST is a piece of junk. Are you sure you want to take that risk?

It may hurt at first, but trust me, pay the extra to get a good light meter from a reputable dealer, one that's been serviced, or at least checked for accuracy. Try keh.camera, or BL photo, or visualproducts.com. They're all top notch. Since you're in LA, surely there are dealers that sell these things. Perhaps you can get a student discount?

Think of it as preventative medicine, like a flu shot. It may hurt for a second, but it sure beats the alternative. Good luck!
Brian Rose

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:19 PM

Make certain that calibration is available for any used meter you buy. Plan on spending an extra $50-100 to get a meter calibrated. Obviously you could wait until you had the extra cash for calibration but it is an important step, at least eventually.

Spectra calibrates their gear for $50, I've had them calibrate my IVa, Combi II, and Photospot. I bought a used Minolta Color Meter II off eBay that was reading new GE Chroma 50's at 4100K. After getting it back from calibration at Quality Light-Metric in Hollywood (323-467-2265) it now reads them between 4950K and 5050K. Quality charged $90 for calibration and a small repair.

#5 Jack Brandhorst

Jack Brandhorst
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:48 PM

I'd watch this one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Interesting that it's a requirement. Does it HAVE to be a spot meter? Or is incident fine as well?

Yea has to be a spot meter

#6 Jack Brandhorst

Jack Brandhorst
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:50 PM

I'm afraid you may have a tough time getting a spot meter for fifty to a hundred dollars. That ebay auction sent by Jonathan is a good start, but don't be surprised if the price shoots up toward the end. Actually, I just bought an identical model spot meter not too long ago for $165.00. Even that was a steal, compared to where I've seen one of those go for elsewhere, like at KEH (upwards of $200).

And in my opinion, if there is one thing you don't want to scrimp on, it's a light meter. Suppose you get a cheap meter, and you use it on your production. You might get lucky, and your meter is more or less accurate. But what if it isn't and all the footage you shot comes back from the lab under or overexposed? What then? You will discover that the small amount you saved on the meter will quickly disappear as you pay for all the added costs of reshooting your footage. What's worse, you're stuck with a light meter that at BEST will need servicing, and at WORST is a piece of junk. Are you sure you want to take that risk?

It may hurt at first, but trust me, pay the extra to get a good light meter from a reputable dealer, one that's been serviced, or at least checked for accuracy. Try keh.camera, or BL photo, or visualproducts.com. They're all top notch. Since you're in LA, surely there are dealers that sell these things. Perhaps you can get a student discount?

Think of it as preventative medicine, like a flu shot. It may hurt for a second, but it sure beats the alternative. Good luck!
Brian Rose

That is good advice and I usually follow such dictum (sp) however im in a crunch and am a vary poor studen.

#7 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

Yeah, I know how it is. I'm a student too. Have you talked to the prof? Perhaps he/she can point you in the right direction, or give advice. Since you're in LA, there must be a ton of dealers who handle these types of things. Surely you could try to get a discount, or investigating paying in installments? Or borrow a friend's meter? I'd say, if at all possible don't waste precious money on a junker you'll have to get recalibrated anyways. Try every possible outlet. It's not like you're trying to get a hold of an SR3, or something like that. It's a spot meter, and surely someone could loan it. Just keep at it. Good luck!
Brian Rose

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:18 AM

Try and borrow one. You won't get anything decent or reliably accurate for under a hundred bucks.

#9 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:19 AM

I was in National Camera, Minneapolis, MN the other day; in their "Shutterbug" used camera store they had a half dozen spotmeters, starting about $150.

#10 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:01 PM

Excuse me fellows, is the right term in english spot meter (2 words) or spotmeter (1 word) ? In french, we say it in 1 word. As a moderator I edited the topic's title but if I made a mistake, please let me know.

#11 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:05 PM

Excuse me fellows, is the right term in english spot meter (2 words) or spotmeter (1 word) ? In french, we say it in 1 word. As a moderator I edited the topic's title but if I made a mistake, please let me know.

I have usually seen it as one word, but I don't rightly know if one or the other is proper. Manufacturers usually do it as one word.

#12 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:28 PM

Manufacturers usually do it as one word.

Exactly. You know, my concern is only that if someone browses the search engine, he can find the topics...

#13 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:00 PM

I would have called it a matter of choice. I usually go with one word.

#14 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

As an American college student raised in a public school, when I'm not sure about spelling, I turn to my good ole friend, MS Word spell check! According to it, spot meter is two words. Debate over, case closed. Bill Gates has done it again. Thanks Microsoft!

BR

#15 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:41 PM

It only means spotmeter is not in the MS spell checker database. Of course, the words spot and meter are...

When I translate the french word "spotmètre" to english with Babel Fish Altavista I get "spotmeter" as the translation.

If I translate "spot meter" from english to french I just get a nonsense translation...

I stick to "spotmeter", as far as I'm concerned...

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc