#1 andrew heggli

andrew heggli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:16 AM

Hi all

I'm thinking of shooting a 5 min short and renting a canon xh a1.

The reason I chose this one was because I've seen a few youtube vids (i know they're not the best quality) and it seems like a pretty good camera. I know you have to customize the settings to get the effects you want, but that is also one of the reason i would like to rent this one. I'm looking for a prosumer camera to grow as a cinematographer, one where i have to set the right settings for the picture to come out as i want it to.

The short is a thriller/sci fi short and will be shot at night.

ok, down to the questions:

1. How good is the depth of field on this camera?
2. Is it easy to control the colours on the camera or would this be better to do in post?
3. What are the main problems you have come across using this camera? (even in post)
4. Would like to have 1.85:1 aspect ratio, is this a bad idea? Are there any "guide letterboxes" on the camera? (hope everyone understood that question :P )

All comments appreciated.

Peace

Andrew

#2 Eric Brown

Eric Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:41 PM

Andrew

There's a fairly active community of A1 users over at DVXuser and DVinfo.net. Might want to try there as well.

Hi all

I'm thinking of shooting a 5 min short and renting a canon xh a1.

The reason I chose this one was because I've seen a few youtube vids (i know they're not the best quality) and it seems like a pretty good camera. I know you have to customize the settings to get the effects you want, but that is also one of the reason i would like to rent this one. I'm looking for a prosumer camera to grow as a cinematographer, one where i have to set the right settings for the picture to come out as i want it to.

The short is a thriller/sci fi short and will be shot at night.

ok, down to the questions:

1. How good is the depth of field on this camera?
2. Is it easy to control the colours on the camera or would this be better to do in post?
3. What are the main problems you have come across using this camera? (even in post)
4. Would like to have 1.85:1 aspect ratio, is this a bad idea? Are there any "guide letterboxes" on the camera? (hope everyone understood that question :P )

All comments appreciated.

Peace

Andrew

#3 andrew heggli

andrew heggli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:18 AM

Thanks Eric, I'll check it out!

Peace

Andrew

There's a fairly active community of A1 users over at DVXuser and DVinfo.net. Might want to try there as well.

#4 Cary Sato Lee

Cary Sato Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Director
  • Hollywood, CA. USA

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

The Canon A1 is very sufficient for shooting your shorts. You must remember though it is HDV and is compressed. For DOF shots you will need to shoot wide open and close to your subject in order to achieve the Bokeh you want. That is why many people are purchasing 35mm adaptors and using Film lenses. Also the Canon XHA1 has guides that are built in when shooting 1:85:1 as well as 2:35:1.

Edited by smithy, 27 October 2007 - 02:59 PM.

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Glidecam